Nursing Research - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
With an emphasis on how nursing research is appraised and applied, Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, 8th Edition offers a comprehensive introduction to the nursing research concepts and methods essential to today’s evidence-based healthcare environment. Coverage includes clear guidelines for evaluating research and applying scientific evidence to practice, qualitative and quantitative research, appraising and critiquing research, critical thinking, and clinical decision making using research information.
The American Journal of Nursing (AJN) Book of the Year Awards recognized the 8th edition with a first-place award in the Nursing Research category.
- Separate coverage of quantitative and qualitative research makes each type of research easier to understand.
- Research Vignettes present real-world applications of nursing research to help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- Sample critiques of research articles correspond to the principles presented throughout the book and demonstrate how to apply key concepts and techniques when evaluating actual nursing research articles.
- An increased focus on evidence-based practice highlights its importance to nursing research and addresses the proper way to appraise and apply research to practice.
- Completely updated content includes new sample research articles that keep you current with the latest research topics and trends.
- A user-friendly, full-color layout features helpful boxes, tables, and illustrations that highlight key concepts and help you quickly find information.
- Balanced coverage of qualitative and quantitative research ensures each type is equally represented in value and importance to evidence-based practice.
- A set of Research Appraisal Guidelines inside the back cover offers quick reference for completing assignments or evaluating research.
PART I. OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
Research Vignette: Improving Supportive Care for Cancer Patients and Their Families
- Integrating Research, Evidence-Based Practice, and Quality Improvement Processes
- Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions
- Gathering and Appraising the Literature
- Theoretical Frameworks for Research New!
- Introduction to Qualitative Research
- Qualitative Approaches to Research
- Appraising Qualitative Research
- Introduction to Quantitative Research
- Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs
- Nonexperimental Designs
- Systematic Reviews and Clinical Practice Guidelines New!
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Data Collection Methods
- Reliability and Validity
- Data Analysis: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
- Understanding Research Findings
- Appraising Quantitative Research
- Strategies and Tools for Developing an Evidence-Based Practice
- Developing an Evidence-Based Practice
- Quality Improvement New!
PART II. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH
Research Vignette: Program of Research on Substance Use Disorders
PART III. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH
Research Vignette: From Pressure Ulcer Prediction to Preventive Interventions
PART IV. APPLICATION OF RESEARCH: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
Research Vignette: Incorporating Information and Communication Technology Tools for HIV into Practice
Geri LoBiondo-Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor, Director of PhD Nursing Program, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas and Judith Haber, PhD, RN, FAAN, The Ursula Springer Leadership Professor in Nursing, Rory Meyers College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York