Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
Organized to provide an in-depth review of the ASHP content requirements for pharmacology and anatomy and physiology, Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians, 2nd Edition is comprehensive, yet approachable. It offers complete coverage of body systems structure to correspond to the way pharmacology is taught in most programs, as well as patient scenarios, anatomy and physiology refreshers, drug monographs with pill photos, and a number of learning aids.
- Overviews of anatomy and physiology at the beginning of each body system unit provide a basic understanding of anatomy and physiology to help you understand how drugs work in the body.
- Mini drug monographs in every body system and drug classification chapter contain valuable drug information and pill photos for quick reference.
- Summary drug tables with generic/brand name, usual dose and dosing schedule, and warning labels offer at-a-glance access to information about specific drugs.
- Helpful Tech Notes enhance your understanding of the practical knowledge needed in the pharmacy setting and help you relate new concepts to practical use.
- Tech Alerts offer critical reminders and warnings to help you learn to identify and avoid common pharmacy errors.
- Technician's Corner critical thinking exercises prepare you for on-the-job situations by providing a set of facts and asking you to reach a conclusion.
- Updated drug information ensures you are familiar with the latest drug approvals and therapeutic considerations.
- Additional learning resources on the companion Evolve website include:
- Certification practice exam to better prepare you for the PTCB or ExCPT exam.
- More recall exercises and games to help you retain complex information.
Unit 1: Introduction to Pharmacology
- Fundamentals of Pharmacology
- Principles of Pharmacology
- Drug Interactions and Medication Errors
- Treatment of Anxiety
- Treatment of Depression
- Treatment of Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses
- Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease and Huntington’s Disease
- Treatment of Seizure Disorders
- Treatment of Pain
- Treatment of Migraine Headache and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Treatment of Sleep Disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Neuromuscular Blockade
- Treatment of Muscle Spasms
- Treatment of Autoimmune Diseases That Affect the Musculoskeletal System
- Treatment of Osteoporosis and Paget’s Disease of the Bone
- Treatment of Hyperuricemia and Gout
- Treatment of Glaucoma and Other Disorders of the Eye
- Treatment of Vertigo and Other Disorders of the Ear
- Treatment of Ophthalmic and Otic Infections
- Treatment of Angina
- Treatment of Hypertension
- Treatment of Heart Failure
- Treatment of Myocardial Infarction and Stroke
- Treatment of Arrhythmia
- Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and Peptic Ulcer
- Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease
- Treatment of Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Treatment of Allergies
- Treatment of Prostate Disease and Erectile
- Treatment of Fluid and Electrolyte Disorders
- Treatment of Thyroid Disorders
- Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus
- Drugs That Affect the Reproductive System
- Treatment of Bacterial Infection
- Treatment of Viral Infections
- Treatment of Cancers
- Vaccines and Immunosuppressants
- Treatment of Fungal Infections
- Treatment of Decubitus Ulcers and Burns
- Treatment of Acne
- Treatment of Eczema
- Treatment of Lice and Scabies
Unit 2: Drugs Affecting the Autonomic Nervous System and Central Nervous System
Introduction to the Nervous System
Unit 3: Drugs Affecting the Musculoskeletal System
Introduction to the Musculoskeletal System
Unit 4: Treatment of Diseases of the Ophthalmic and Otic Systems
Introduction to the Ophthalmic and Otic Systems
Unit 5: Drugs Affecting the Cardiovascular System
Introduction to the Cardiovascular System and Hematological System
Unit 6: Drugs Affecting the Gastrointestinal System
Introduction to the Gastrointestinal (Digestive) System
Unit 7: Drugs Affecting the Respiratory System
Introduction to the Respiratory System
Unit 8: Drugs Affecting the Urinary System
Introduction to the Urinary System
Unit 9: Drugs Affecting the Endocrine System
Introduction to the Endocrine System
Unit 10: Drugs Affecting the Immunological System
Introduction to the Lymphatic and Immune System
Unit 11: Drugs Affecting the Integumentary System
Introduction to the Integumentary System (Skin & Its Appendages)
Kathy Moscou, RPh, MPH, PhD candidate, PPRC Fellow, Research Affiliate
Centre for Aboriginal and Rural Education Studies
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Former Director, Pharmacy Technician Program (1989-2006), North Seattle Community College, Vancouver, WA and Karen Snipe, CPhT, AS, BA, MEd, Pharmacy Technician Program Coordinator, Department Head, Diagnostic and Imaging Services, Trident Technical College, Charleston, SC