Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),3rd Edition
With detailed descriptions of orthopedic surgeries, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient, 3rd Edition provides current, evidence-based guidelines to designing effective rehabilitation strategies. Coverage of each condition includes an overview of the orthopedic patient's entire course of treatment from pre- to post-surgery. For each phase of rehabilitation, this book describes the postoperative timeline, the goals, potential complications and precautions, and appropriate therapeutic procedures. New to this edition are a full-color design and new chapters on disc replacement, cartilage replacement, hallux valgus, and transitioning the running athlete. Edited by Lisa Maxey and Jim Magnusson, and with chapters written by both surgeons and physical therapists, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient provides valuable insights into the use of physical therapy in the rehabilitation process.
- Each chapter is written by an MD and PT or OT providing both surgical and rehabilitation information.
- Includes the latest, evidence-based therapy guidelines to help therapists design the most effective rehab programs for their patients.
- Every chapter includes case study vignettes with critical thinking questions to encourage students to use clinical reasoning.
- Provides detailed tables that break down therapy guidelines with rehab phases to give a quick resource to rehabilitation and therapy plans.
- Includes the indications and considerations of specific surgical procedures to demonstrate why surgery should or should not be considered.
- Describes surgeries in detail to give therapists a clear understanding of the surgical procedures used for various injuries and disorders so they can fashion the appropriate rehabilitation program.
- Includes coverage of commonly accepted therapy guidelines to allow therapists to design a home therapy program as well as what's needed immediately post surgery.
- Suggested Home Maintenance boxes, included in every chapter, provide guidance for the patient once they return home.
- Emphasizes the unique needs of the individual patient with suggested home maintenance guidelines and the entire treatment plan broken out by phase for every chapter.
- Over 300 photos and line drawings provide invaluable teaching tools for instructors and references to the practitioners.
- Content provided by well-known contributors from around the country.
- Four new chapters: Pathogenesis of Soft Tissue and Bone Repair, Total Shoulder Replacement, Surgery and Rehabilitation for Primary Flexor Tendon Repair in the Digit, and Cervical Spine Fusion.
- Includes new information within the appendices on transitioning the running and jumping athlete (e.g. basketball player) back to court and the mini invasive anterior approach to total hip replacement.
- New authors and editors bring fresh perspective to the topics covered in the text.
- Each chapter is thoroughly revised with the most current information available on orthopedic surgeries and therapy.
- Evaluations and guidelines are designed more specifically to the surgical diagnoses for the postsurgical patient.
- Companion CD-ROM includes the suggested home maintenance boxes in a printable and editable form as well as anatomical and surgical animations on important procedures and anatomical areas.
Part One: Introduction
1. Pathogenesis of Soft Tissue and Bone Repair NEW!
2. Soft Tissue Healing Considerations After Surgery
Part Two: Upper Extremity
4. Anterior Capsular Reconstruction
5. Rotator Cuff Repair and Rehabilitation
6. Superior Labral Anterior Posterior Repair (SLAP Repair)
7. Total Shoulder Replacement NEW!
8. Tennis Elbow: Extensor Brevis Release and Lateral Epicondylectomy
9. Reconstruction of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament with Ulnar Nerve Transposition
10. Surgery and Rehabilitation for Primary Flexor Tendon Repair in the Digit NEW!
11. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Part Three: Spine
12. Cervical Spine Fusion NEW!
13. Lumbar Microdiskectomy
14. Lumbar Fusion
Part Four: Lower Extremity
15. Total Hip Replacement
16. Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of the Hip
17. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
18. Arthroscopic Lateral Retinaculum Release
19. Meniscectomy and Meniscal Repair
20. Patella Open Reduction and Internal Fixation
21. Total Knee Arthroplasty
22. Lateral Ligament Repair
23. Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of the Ankle
24. Ankle Arthroscopy
25. Achilles Tendon Repair
A. Transitioning the Throwing Athlete Back to the Field
B. Transitioning the Jumping Athlete Back to the Court
C. New Approaches in Total Hip Replacement
Lisa Maxey, MS, PT and Jim Magnusson, MS, ATC, PT