Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
With detailed descriptions of orthopedic surgeries, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient, 3rd Edition provides current, evidence-based guidelines to designing effective rehabilitation strategies. Coverage of each condition includes an overview of the orthopedic patient's entire course of treatment from pre- to post-surgery. For each phase of rehabilitation, this book describes the postoperative timeline, the goals, potential complications and precautions, and appropriate therapeutic procedures. New to this edition are a full-color design and new chapters on disc replacement, cartilage replacement, hallux valgus, and transitioning the running athlete. Edited by Lisa Maxey and Jim Magnusson, and with chapters written by both surgeons and physical therapists, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient provides valuable insights into the use of physical therapy in the rehabilitation process.
- Each chapter is written by an MD and PT or OT providing both surgical and rehabilitation information.
- Includes the latest, evidence-based therapy guidelines to help therapists design the most effective rehab programs for their patients.
- Every chapter includes case study vignettes with critical thinking questions to encourage students to use clinical reasoning.
- Provides detailed tables that break down therapy guidelines with rehab phases to give a quick resource to rehabilitation and therapy plans.
- Includes the indications and considerations of specific surgical procedures to demonstrate why surgery should or should not be considered.
- Describes surgeries in detail to give therapists a clear understanding of the surgical procedures used for various injuries and disorders so they can fashion the appropriate rehabilitation program.
- Includes coverage of commonly accepted therapy guidelines to allow therapists to design a home therapy program as well as what's needed immediately post surgery.
- Suggested Home Maintenance boxes, included in every chapter, provide guidance for the patient once they return home.
- Emphasizes the unique needs of the individual patient with suggested home maintenance guidelines and the entire treatment plan broken out by phase for every chapter.
- Over 300 photos and line drawings provide invaluable teaching tools for instructors and references to the practitioners.
- Content provided by well-known contributors from around the country.
- New coverage of current orthopedic surgeries and rehabilitation includes topics such as disc replacement, cartilage replacement, hallux valgus, and transitioning the running athlete.
- New full-color design and illustrations visually reinforce the content.
- Updated Suggested Home Maintenance boxes in every chapter provide guidance for patients returning home.
- References linked to MEDLINE abstracts make it easy to access evidence-based information for better clinical decision-making.
Part One: Introduction
1. Pathogenesis of Soft Tissue and Bone Repair
2. Soft Tissue Healing Considerations After Surgery
Part Two: Upper Extremity
4. Anterior Capsular Reconstruction
5. Rotator Cuff Repair
6. Superior Labral Anterior Posterior Repair
7. Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
8. Tennis Elbow: Extensor Brevis Release and Lateral Epicondylectomy
9. Reconstruction of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament with Ulnar Nerve Transposition
10. Platelet Rich Plasma Injection (PRP) for the Ulnar Collateral Ligament
11. Surgery and Rehabilitation for Primary Flexor Tendon Repair in the Digit
12. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
13. Transitioning the Throwing Athlete Back to the Field
Part Three: Spine
14. Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
15. Posterior Lumbar Arthroscopic Discectomy
16. Lumbar Spine Fusion
17. Lumbar Spine Disc Replacement NEW!
Part Four: Lower Extremity
18. Total Hip Arthroplasty
19. Total Hip Mini Invasive
20. Hip Arthroscopy
21. Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of the Hip
22. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
23. Arthroscopic Lateral Retinaculum Release
24. Meniscectomy and Meniscal Repair
25. Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
26. Patella Open Reduction and Internal Fixation
27. Total Knee Arthroplasty
28. Lateral Ligament Repair of the Ankle
29. Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of the Ankle
30. Ankle Arthroscopy
31. Achilles Tendon Repair
32. Surgical Correction for Hallux Valgus Deformity NEW!
33. Transitioning the Jumping Athlete
34. Transitioning the Running Athlete NEW!
Lisa Maxey, MS, PT and Jim Magnusson, MS, ATC, PT