Handbook of Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen Sedation - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),4th Edition
This unique chairside handbook is the only product of its kind focused specifically on nitrous oxide and oxygen sedation. Handbook of Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen Sedation, 4th Edition takes a need-to-know approach, featuring a user-friendly outline format that is easy to digest along, with summary tables and boxes, helpful icons, clear illustrations, and step-by-step techniques with photos. Now in full color, this portable text is ideal in educational and clinical settings.
- Step-by-step administration techniques and responses to frequently asked questions provide practical information for everyday use of N2O/O2.
- Concise, outline format and convenient, portable size make this handbook easy to use in the clinical setting.
- Current American Society of Anesthesiologists classification system familiarizes you with ASA guidelines for assessing patients with medical risk.
- Information on current equipment in analgesia delivery shows how each component works so you can see and compare what's new in the field.
- In-depth discussion of recovery from N2O/O2 helps you better determine when it's appropriate to release a patient.
- Sample forms (sedation record, informed consent, etc.) are provided - copy and use them as needed.
- New icons speed you to important information on indications, considerations, and contraindications for nitrous oxide.
- The latest information on biohazards provides current guidelines for proper monitoring.
- Increased content on pediatric sedation enables you to provide specialized care to younger patients.
- Expanded art program, including integral sections of color-coded equipment, improving your understanding of proper handling and procedures.
- Additional step-by-step photos highlight the most current techniques and equipment.
Part I: Introduction to Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Sedation
1. Guidelines for Best Practice
2. History and Evolution of N2O/O2 Sedation
3. Pain and Anxiety Management
4. Comparison of N2O/O2 Sedation to Other Sedation Methods
5. Physical Properties and Pharmacokinetics of N2O
6. Manufacturing and Distribution of N2O and O2 Gases
7. Economic Benefits Associated with N2O/O2 Administration
Part II: Anatomy, Physiology, and Administration
8. Anatomy and Physiology of Respiration and Airway Management
9. N2O and its Interaction with the Body
10. Patient Assessment
11. Titration of N2O/O2 Gases
12. Signs and Symptoms of N2O/O2 Sedation
13. Technique for N2O/O2 Administration
14. Recovery from N2O/O2 Sedation
15. Multidisciplinary Application of N2O/O2 Sedation
16. Clinical Application of N2O/O2 Sedation in Pediatrics
Part III: Issues of Special Consideration
17. Potential Biohazards for Health Personnel Associated with Chronic Exposure to N2O
18. N2O Abuse Issues
19. Ethical and Legal Considerations Regarding N2O Administration
20. Commonly Asked Questions Regarding N2O/O2 Sedation
21. Future Trends in N2O/O2 Sedation
A. Manufacturers and Organizational Resources
B. Percent of N2O/O2 Administered
C. N2O/O2 Sedation Record
D. Informed Consent for N2O/O2 Sedation
E. Overview of Administration of N2O/O2 Sedation
Morris S. Clark, DDS, FACD, University of Colorado, Denver, CO and Ann Brunick, RDH, MS, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD