Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 12th Edition
Berry & Kohn’s Operating Room Technique has been the text of choice for understanding basic surgical principles and techniques for more than 50 years. Highly readable, accurate, and comprehensive, it covers the "nuts and bolts" of surgical techniques in a format that makes it easy to effectively apply basic principles to clinical practice. Expert author Nancymarie Phillips emphasizes the importance of teamwork throughout, with practical strategies and examples of how cooperation among perioperative caregivers contributes to positive patient care outcomes.
- Prepares the nurse for actual OR situations with point-by-point descriptions of perioperative settings, procedures, and technology.
- Explains both the fundamentals of surgical techniques and today's most commonly performed procedures in terms that can readily be translated into to clinical practice.
- Focuses on the physiologic, psychologic, and spiritual considerations of perioperative patients to provide learners with a knowledge base for planning and implementing comprehensive, individualized care.
- Features in-depth discussions of patients with special needs related to age or health status considerations, with an emphasis on developing plans of care tailored to the unique care parameters of all patients.
- Reflects a focus on professionalism, skilled teamwork, and start-to-finish cooperation among perioperative caregivers aimed at improving patient outcomes.
- Discusses perioperative patient care for both inpatient and ambulatory procedures to highlight considerations based on the setting as well as the surgical procedure itself.
- Provides detailed information about the fundamentals of perioperative nursing and surgical technology roles.
- Attractive and engaging full-color internal design and approximately 380 full-color illustrations depict key perioperative principles and surgical anatomy, techniques, and instrumentation.
- Two-sided perioperative flash cards incorporate images from the book to help students learn concepts such as positioning, dissection, incisions, and sutures. These are provided on perforated card stock in the front of the text.
- A new chapter on Spinal Surgery expands upon the important subspecialty of neurosurgery.
- Enhanced chapter opener pedagogy previews the concepts and techniques covered in the chapter:
- Chapter Objectives
- Chapter Outline (new)
- Key Terms and Definitions (new)
- List of Supplemental Material on Evolve website (new)
- A comprehensive and alphabetical glossary of key terms and definitions is provided on Evolve.
- Bioterriorism considerations are discussed in the Decontamination and Disinfection chapter.
- The expanded Legal and Ethical Issues chapter discusses the concept of "time outs," HIPAA privacy regulations, and the role of the Investigational Review Board for investigational studies.
- Patient and team safety features cover topics such as radiation safety, latex sensitivity, patient temperature regulation, medication administration, skin protection, powered devices, and endoscopic considerations.
- The Ambulatory Surgery Centers chapter has been expanded to cover additional alternative site surgeries, including mobile hospitals for the military.
- The chapter on Potential Sources of Injury to the Caregiver and the Patient covers chemical, physical, and biological sources of injury.
- Robotics are be discussed in the Endoscopic Surgery chapter.
- Surgical pharmacology content has been expanded and thoroughly updated, including new content on blood products.
- The Implants and Wound Site Closure chapter features a general overview of implants, including the categorizing, handling, storing, documenting of various types of implants (biologic, synthetics, etc.).
- The General Surgery chapter now includes a discussion of the trauma patient.
- In the index, page numbers are bold where the key terms are defined in the text.
Section One: Fundamentals of Theory and Practice
1 Perioperative Education
2 Foundations of Perioperative Patient Care Standards
3 Legal and Ethical Issues
Section Two: The Perioperative Patient Care Team
4 The Perioperative Patient Care Team
5 The Surgical First Assistant
6 Administration of Perioperative Patient Care Services
Section Three: The Patient as a Unique Individual
7 The Patient: The Reason for Your Existence
8 Perioperative Pediatrics
9 Perioperative Geriatrics
Section Four: The Perioperative Environment
10 Physical Facilities
11 Ambulatory Surgery Centers
12 Care of the Perioperative Environment
13 Potential Sources of Injury to the Caregiver and the Patient
Section Five: Surgical Asepsis and Sterile Technique
14 Microbiologic Considerations
15 Principles of Asepsis and Sterile Techniques
16 Attire, Surgical Scrub, Gowning, and Glove
17 Decontamination and Disinfection
Section Six: Surgical Instrumentation and Equipment
19 Surgical Instrumentation
20 Specialized Surgical Equipment
Section Seven: Preoperative Patient Care
21 Preoperative Preparation of the Patient
22 Diagnostic Procedures
Section Eight: Pharmacology and Anesthesia
23 Surgical Pharmacology
24 Anesthesia: Techniques and Agents
Section Nine: Intraoperative Patient Care
25 Coordinated Roles of the Scrub Person and the Circulator
26 Positioning, Prepping, and Draping the Patient
27 Physiologic Maintenance and Monitoring of the Perioperative Patient
Section Ten: Surgical Site Management
28 Hemostasis, Implants, and Wound Closure
29 Wound Healing
Section Eleven: Perianesthesia and Postprocedural Patient Care
30 Postoperative Patient Care
31 Potential Perioperative Complications
Section Twelve: Surgical Specialties
32 Endoscopic and Robotic-Assisted Surgery
33 General Surgery
34 Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery
35 Urologic Surgery
36 Orthopedic Surgery
38 Spinal Surgery - NEW
39 Ophthalmic Surgery
40 Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
41 Otorhinolaryngologic and Head and Neck Surgery
42 Thoracic Surgery
43 Cardiac Surgery
44 Vascular Surgery
45 Organ Procurement and Transplantation
Nancymarie Phillips, RN, PhD, RNFA, CNOR, Director of Perioperative Education, Lakeland Community College, Kirtland, OH