Handbook of Veterinary Anesthesia, 5th Edition is a well-accepted guide to performing anesthesia and anesthetic techniques safely and effectively. This convenient pocket guide provides clear, concise guidelines on anesthetic procedures for dogs, cats, horses, ruminants, camelids, pigs, birds, and other exotic pets. Topics include patient evaluation and preparation, local anesthetic drugs, anesthetic equipment, patient monitoring, pain management, breathing systems and ventilation, shock therapy, respiratory and cardiac emergencies, and euthanasia. Written by leading anesthesiology experts William W. Muir III and John A. E. Hubbell, this practical handbook is the perfect size to take anywhere!
- Key points and special considerations are now called out in boxes to highlight the most important and critical information for immediate access.
- Comprehensive yet concise quick reference offers on-the-go, indispensable advice for anesthetic situations.
- Dogs and cats each have their own chapter, and the special needs and considerations of each species are expanded for more comprehensive coverage.
- Old and outdated drugs have been eliminated, so the focus is not on the history of veterinary anesthesia but on important, current concepts and techniques.
- Completely updated drug information and new pain management techniques.
- A new chapter discusses the unique anesthetic considerations in cats and their clinical applications.
- The latest information on local anesthesia drugs and techniques.
- Expanded coverage of post-anesthetic care, monitoring, and analgesic considerations.
- Covers anesthetic protocols for common procedures in each species.
- Includes new coverage of the use of constant rate infusion perioperatively.
- Expanded coverage of euthanasia includes the most current AVMA guidelines for euthanasia techniques.
1. Introduction to Anesthesia
2. Patient Evaluation and Preparation
3. Drugs Used for Preanesthetic Medication
4. Local Anesthetic Drugs and Techniques
5. Local Anesthesia in Cattle, Sheep, Goats, and Pigs
6. Local Anesthesia in Horses
7. Local Anesthesia in Dogs and Cats
8. Specific Intravenous Anesthetic Drugs
9. Inhalation Anesthesia
10. Pharmacology of Inhalation Anesthetic Drugs
11. Neuromuscular Blocking Drugs
12. Anesthetic Toxicity, Oxygen Toxicity, and Drug Interactions
13. Anesthetic Machines and Breathing Systems
14. Ventilation and Mechanical Assist Devices
15. Patient Monitoring During Anesthesia
16. Acid-Base Balance and Blood Gases
18. Acupuncture Analgesia
19. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Dogs
20. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Cats
21. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Horses
22. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Ruminants
23. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Pigs
24. Anesthetic for Cesarean Section
25. Anesthetic Procedure in Exotic Animals
26. Fluid Administration during Anesthesia
28. Respiratory Emergencies
29. Cardiac Emergencies
Appendix I. Partial Listing of Commonly Used Drugs, Anesthetic and Monitoring Equipment, and Their Manufactures
Appendix II. Physical Principles of Anesthesia
Appendix III. Drug Schedules
Appendix IV. Guiding Principles for Research Involving Animals and Human Beings