With clear coverage of the anatomy of oral and facial tissues, Essentials of Oral Histology and Embryology: A Clinical Approach, 4th Edition, helps you understand normal orofacial development to prepare you to care for patients with abnormalities or dental pathologies. It provides a strong foundation in oral biology, focusing on the development and structure of cells and tissues, the stages of tooth development and maturation, and the parts of teeth including enamel, dentin, dental pulp, and cementum. New illustrations and discussions of emerging issues keep you current with advances in the dental professions and patient care. Written by Daniel J. Chiego Jr., an experienced educator in oral histology and embryology, this book provides the basic science you need to succeed in the classroom and in clinical practice.
- Provides a timeline of head and neck structural development from conception to birth and describes possible abnormalities in development, including cleft lip and palate.
- Describes the definitive stages and normal/abnormal paths of tooth development and maturation.
- Discusses specific hard and soft oral tissues including periodontal tissues, oral mucosa, TMJ, and parts of teeth (enamel, dentin, dental pulp, cementum) to illustrate how these structures develop and are related.
- Each chapter begins with a helpful chapter outline and a brief overview of chapter content.
- Consider the Patient boxes present a short case scenario and then discuss possible solutions at the end of the chapter to demonstrate practical applications of key concepts.
- Self-evaluation questions at the end of every chapter help readers assess their understanding of the material.
- Tables and boxes throughout the text make it easy to quickly summarize important information.
- Clinical Comments boxes throughout the chapters present tips that help readers apply key content to everyday clinical practice.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of every chapter list important topics readers should know after completing the chapter.
- An alphabetical list of Key Terms at the beginning of each chapter helps readers learn to use these words in the correct context within clinical practice.
- Features a wealth of new full-color illustrations and photographs.
- Evolve website includes a test bank, image collection, weblinks, and interactive student exercises.
Chapter 1 Development and Structure of Cells and Tissues
Chapter 2 Structure and Function of Cells, Tissues, and Organs
Chapter 3 Development of the Oral Facial Region
Chapter 4 Development of the Face and Palate
Chapter 5 Development of Teeth
Chapter 6 Eruption and Shedding of the Teeth
Chapter 7 Enamel
Chapter 8 Dentin
Chapter 9 Dental Pulp
Chapter 10 Cementum
Chapter 11 Periodontium: Periodontal Ligament
Chapter 12 Periodontium: Alveolar Process and Cementum
Chapter 13 Temporomandibular Joint
Chapter 14 Oral Mucosa
Chapter 15 Salivary Glands and Tonsils
Chapter 16 Biofilms