Foundations and Adult Health Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
An all-inclusive guide to fundamentals and medical-surgical nursing for the LPN/LVN, Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 7th Edition covers the skills you need for clinical practice, from anatomy and physiology to nursing interventions and maternity, neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, and community health care. Guidelines for patient care are presented within the framework of the five-step nursing process; Nursing Care Plans are described within a case-study format to help you develop skills in clinical decision-making. Written by Kim Cooper and Kelly Gosnell, this text includes all of the content from their Foundations of Nursing and Adult Health Nursing books, including review questions to help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN® examination!
- All-in-one reference includes fundamentals, skills, maternity, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, community, anatomy and physiology, and medical-surgical content – everything you need in one convenient text.
- Companion CD includes animations and audio clips depicting physiologic processes, physical assessment video clips, an English/Spanish glossary with definitions and audio pronunciations, an anatomy coloring book, and a fluid and electrolytes tutorial.
- The consistent, logical framework of the nursing process connects specific disorders to patient care.
- The Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter and an overview of A&P at the beginning of all body systems chapters provide a clear, basic understanding of A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
- A mathematics review chapter provides a complete review of basic arithmetic skills and practice in drug dosage calculation to ensure safe medication administration.
- Safety Alert boxes help you implement The Joint Commission’s safety guidelines in all settings, with considerations for special populations.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- Over 100 skills in a step-by-step format with full-color illustrations present clearly defined nursing actions and rationales for skills and techniques you’ll use in practice.
- Medication tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and end with Critical Thinking Questions to develop your clinical decision-making skills.
- Coordinated Care boxes emphasize parameters for prioritizing tasks, as well as assigning tasks to and supervising unlicensed assistive personnel.
- An emphasis on communication features real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue and illustrates practical guidelines for effective communication.
- Patient Teaching boxes and Family Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Life Span Considerations for Older Adults boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Care Considerations boxes discuss the issues facing patients and caregivers in the home health care setting.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes provide key information on staying healthy and preventing disease, with tips on wellness from Healthy People 2010.
- Cultural Considerations boxes discuss how to address the health needs of a culturally diverse patient population when planning care.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes includes disorder-specific therapies, precautions, and possible side effects of non-traditional treatments.
- Enhanced focus on the NCLEX Examination offers end-of-chapter Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections with key points for self-guided study and remediation and an extensive set of review questions for thorough self-assessment. Additional review questions on Evolve provide instant feedback with correct answer and rationale for even more test-taking practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize the latest research findings and highlight how they apply to LPN/LVN practice.
- Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
Unit I: Fundamentals of Nursing 1. Evolution of Nursing 2. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing 3. Documentation 4. Communication 5. Nursing Process and Critical Thinking 6. Cultural and Ethnic Considerations
Unit II: Fundamentals of Clinical Practice 7. Asepsis and Infection Control 8. Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility 9. Hygiene and Care of the Patient’s Environment 10. Safety
Unit III: Introduction to Nursing Interventions 11. Vital Signs 12. Physical Assessment 13. Admission, Transfer, and Discharge 14. Surgical Wound Care 15. Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Testing 16. Care of Patients Experiencing Urgent Alterations in Health 17. Complementary and Alternative Therapies 18. Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep 19. Nutritional Concepts and Related Therapies 20. Fluids and Electrolytes 21. Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration 22. Care of Patients with Alterations in Health
Unit IV: Nursing Care Across the Lifespan 23. Lifespan Development 24. Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death 25. Health Promotion and Pregnancy 26. Labor and Delivery 27. Care of the Mother and Newborn 28. Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs 29. Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent 30. Basic Pediatric Nursing Care 31. Care of the Child with a Physical and Mental or Cognitive Disorder 32. Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult
Unit V: Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing 33. Concepts of Mental Health 34. Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder 35. Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality
Unit VI: Fundamentals of Community Health Nursing 36. Home Health Nursing 37. Long-Term Care 38. Rehabilitation Nursing 39. Hospice Care
Unit VII: Adult Health Nursing 40. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 41. Care of the Surgical Patient 42. Care of the Patient with an Integumentary Disorder 43. Care of the Patient with a Musculoskeletal Disorder 44. Care of the Patient with a Gastrointestinal Disorder 45. Care of the Patient with a Gallbladder, Liver, Biliary Tract, or Exocrine Pancreatic Disorder 46. Care of the Patient with a Blood or Lymphatic Disorder 47. Care of the Patient with a Cardiovascular or a Peripheral Vascular Disorder 48. Care of the Patient with a Respiratory Disorder 49. Care of the Patient with a Urinary Disorder 50. Care of the Patient with an Endocrine Disorder 51. Care of the Patient with a Reproductive Disorder 52. Care of the Patient with a Visual or Auditory Disorder 53. Care of the Patient with a Neurological Disorder 54. Care of the Patient with an Immune Disorder 55. Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS 56. Care of the Patient with Cancer
Unit VIII: From Graduate to Professional 57. Professional Roles and Leadership Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Appendix B: Laboratory Reference Values Appendix C: Answers to Review Questions for the NCLEX® Examination
Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, IN and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing
Ivy Tech Community College
Terre Haute, Indiana