Survival Guide for Anatomy & Physiology, 2nd Edition
Don’t be overwhelmed by the perils and pitfalls of learning A&P! Survival Guide for Anatomy & Physiology, 2nd Edition provides a quick and easy overview of tips, strategies, and key A&P content to make studying more productive, more fun, and less time-consuming. A perfect on-the-go reference, this handy guide is packed with colorful cartoons, A&P visuals, illustrated tables, and keen insights to help you prepare for even the most dangerous labs and exams. Joining this excellent adventure are two new survival skills chapters plus strategies for using digital resources effectively. Written by renowned author and educator Kevin Patton, this book makes it easier to survive and conquer A&P!
- Plan a Learning Strategy section helps you study more effectively by showing how to tailor your learning activities to suit your learning style.
- Part 2: Maps, Charts, and Shortcuts breaks the subject of A&P into six sections, so you can quickly find the information you need in an easy-to-read and understand format.
- Mnemonic devices and memorable analogies help you remember A&P concepts with ease.
- Specific test-taking strategies help you prepare for and pass exams.
- Instructions on how to read your A&P textbook lead to greater comprehension.
- Dozens of tables make it easy to access the A&P facts you need to remember on the skeletal system, muscles, nerves, circulatory, respiratory, and digestive systems, and more.
- NEW! Know the Language chapter focuses on strategies for mastering medical terminology.
- UPDATED information includes more on digital-based learning strategies, more examples, and additional study tips to develop skills in mastering pronunciation, dealing with test anxiety, using flashcards, and more.
- New analogies and tips help you make deeper connections between challenging A&P concepts and the real world, including What’s a Gradient?, Bone Names Have Meaning, Mnemonics to Help You Learn Bone Structures, and more.
- NEW! What to Do If You Get Lost chapter offers advice on getting back on track from Kevin Patton, whose enthusiasm, humor, and special insights have guided many students through the A&P wilderness.
- New cartoons and illustrated tables simplify facts and concepts relating to topics such as tissues, joint movements, regions of the brain, and more.
- New appendices on common abbreviations and word parts make it easy to look up prefixes, suffixes, abbreviations, and more.
PART 1: Introduction to the Survival Skills
Survival Skill 1: Have a Winning Attitude
Survival Skill 2: Know Your Learning Style
Survival Skill 3: Know the Language
Survival Skill 4: Plan a Learning Strategy
Survival Skill 5: Arrange a Suitable Study Area
Survival Skill 6: Plan a Reading Strategy
Survival Skill 7: Analyze Your Note-Taking Skills
Survival Skill 8: Study Actively
Survival Skill 9: Use All Your Resources
Survival Skill 10: Prepare for Tests
Survival Skill 11: Use Test-Taking Strategies During and After a Test
Survival Skill 12: What To Do If You Get Lost
Special Survival Skills
- Learners with Special Needs
- Time Management Tools
- Returning Learners
- Using Flash Cards Effectively
- Using Your Digital Device to Study A&P
- Test Anxiety
- Climbing the Learning Pyramid
- English as a Second Language
- The Student Laboratory
PART 2: Maps, Charts, & Shortcuts, Special Survival Skills: Using Models and Analogies
1. The Body as a Whole
2. Support and Movement
3. Communication, Control, and Integration
4. Transportation and Defense
5. Respiration, Nutrition, and Excretion
6. Reproduction and Development
Common Word Parts
Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Life Sciences,St. Charles Community College Cottleville, MO Professor of Human Anatomy & Physiology Instruction (HAPI adjunct) Northeast College of Health Sciences Seneca Falls, NY