This significantly revised new edition features an easy-to-use format that provides basic theory and assessment of neuromuscular conditions followed by an extensive overview of techniques specific to deep tissue massage Ñ including trigger point therapy, friction techniques, myofascial techniques, and stretching. Step-by-step treatment routines for the 22 most commonly encountered neuromuscular conditions are clearly outlined using detailed descriptions and illustrations side-by-side. Downloadable assessment forms and 90-minutes of video on proper deep tissue massage techniques are included on the companion Evolve website.
- The first text on the market that delineates deep tissue routines or treatments.
- Provides techniques, routines, and procedures for the treatment of a wide array of neuromuscular conditions, including carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis and golfer's elbow, frozen shoulder, rotator cuff dysfunctions, thoracic outlet syndrome, whiplash, migraines, kyphosis, lordosis, and scoliosis, among others.
- Each chapter on conditions follows a template with a definition of the condition, a list of associated symptoms, indications and contraindications for massage, and a procedure/routine.
- Routines are outlined step-by-step and clearly describe for the therapist exactly what needs to be done to treat a particular condition.
- Heavily illustrated, with many photos of each technique and routine, as well as some photos illustrating conditions.
- Photos of indicated and contraindicated stretches with a brief explanation of why they are indicated or contraindicated.
- Includes DVD-ROM with over 1 hour of video showing techniques desribed in the text.
- An excellent clinical companion for massage therapists.
- NEW! 4-color art program features all new photos of the best techniques, body mechanics, and draping to better illustrate content.
- NEW! 90 minutes of video on the Evolve companion website vividly demonstrate the proper techniques needed to master deep tissue massage.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of theory and assessment gives you the background you need on documentation, techniques, and assessments before you begin learning how to perform deep tissue massage.
- NEW! Anatomic illustrations provide a refresher on pertinent anatomy right before the book heads into treatment coverage to reinforce the essential relationship between anatomy and proper massage.
- NEW! Expert reviewers, including Joe Muscolino, Sandy Fritz, and more, ensure material is accurate and appropriate for courses on deep tissue.
- NEW! Author Jeffrey Simancek, former Curriculum Manager for Corinthian and current massage educator, brings extensive career school teaching and curriculum experience to the book.
Part I IV Basic Assessment and Techniques
1. Basic Gait Assessment
2. Trigger Point
Deep Transverse Friction
With Fiber Friction
4. MFR Myofascial Release
Part II IV Treatment Routines
5. Headaches Routine
Definition and Symptoms
NOTE: Each chapter in this part contains these same sub-sections
6. Migraines Routine
7. TMJ (Temporal Mandibular Joint) Routine
8. TOS (Thoracic outlet Syndrome) Routine
9. Torticollis Routine
10. Whiplash Routine
11. Frozen Shoulder Routine
12. Rotator Cuff Routine
13. Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow) Routine
14. Medial Epicondylitis (Golfers Elbow) Routine
15. CTS (Carpel Tunnel Syndrome) Routine
16. Kyphosis Routine
17. Scoliosis Routine
18. Lordosis Routine
19. Iliopsoas Routine
20. Abdominal Massage (Constipation) Routine
21. Piriformis Routine
22. Sciatica Routine
23. Quadriceps Routine
24. IT Band (Iliotibial Tract) Routine
25. Knee Routine
26. Shin Splint Routine
27. Plantar Fasciitis Routine
Part III IV Stretches