Combining the basics of coding, insurance, and reimbursement in one concise text, Adams' Coding and Reimbursement: A Simplified Approach, 4th Edition looks at the big picture of medical billing and coding and shows how it fits into the physician reimbursement system. Clearly organized, full-color chapters guide you through the entire coding and claims process, detailing coding rules and applications, insurance guidelines, and the reimbursement system. Realistic, hands-on practice helps you apply what you've learned. Written by medical insurance, billing, and coding expert Wanda Adams, this edition includes the latest ICD-9-CM and CPT codes, a new chapter on HCPCS coding, and a new chapter preparing you for the 2013 transition to ICD-10-CM.
- Highlighted examples illustrate concepts in realistic medical office settings to enhance your understanding.
- Coding exercises teach you how to correctly code using the ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 manuals.
- Test Your Knowledge questions within each chapter help you assess your strengths and weaknesses and prepare for exams.
- Critical thinking problems challenge you to apply chapter concepts to common coding scenarios.
- Code It and Claim It! software familiarizes you with a professional coding claim interface similar to programs you’ll use on the job and provides real-world practice with actual patient cases.
- Key term lists and an extensive glossary reinforce your understanding of important coding and insurance terminology.
- NEW application exercises help you put your knowledge of coding and reimbursement into practice.
1. Diagnostic Coding: International Classification of Diseases, 9th Edition, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM)
2. Service and Procedural Coding: Current Procedural Terminology (CPT)
3. Understanding Insurance Policies
4. Medicare and Medicaid
5. Insurance Claim Forms
6. Accounts Receivable
7. Legal Issues
8. Putting It All Together