Patient Care in Radiography - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study, 8th Edition
With clear, step-by-step instructions and more than 400 detailed full-color illustrations, Patient Care in Radiography, 8th Edition helps you develop the technical and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively care for radiography patients in the clinical environment. Current, comprehensive coverage aligned with ASRT curriculum guidelines helps you connect concepts to clinical applications and confidently master essential procedures and techniques for safety, transfer, positioning, infection control, assessment, and more.
- Integrated patient care tips and procedure descriptions help you ensure high-quality patient care as well as technical proficiency.
- Infection control content helps you prevent the spread of diseases.
- Special coverage familiarizes you with appropriate patient care for a wide range of imaging modalities.
- Procedure photo-essays walk you through essential techniques.
- Case studies help you build the critical thinking and problem-solving skills to address situations you may encounter on the job.
- Chapter outlines, objectives, key terms, summaries, review questions, and critical thinking activities highlight the most important chapter content and help you retain information more effectively.
- NEW! Updated content reflects the latest advances in:
- Patient comfort measures
- Patient care relative to patient age
- Assisting patients with dressing and undressing
- Assessment of extremities in casts
- Assessments of pediatric patients for evidence of potential child abuse
- Assessment of geriatric patients for evidence of potential elder abuse
- Descriptions and precautions for pediatric IV medication administration
- Information on pulmonary embolism
- Information on Jackson-Pratt and Penrose drains
- NEW! Full-color illustrations and photographs clarify techniques and clinical details.
- NEW! Safety boxes with warning icons alert you to common safety concerns youÕll encounter in practice.
- NEW! Real-world scenarios throughout the text help you understand the practical application of chapter concepts.
- NEW! Simplified organization makes complex content more accessible and helps you study more efficiently.
Part I Introduction to Radiography
1. X-ray Production
2. Technical Factors in Radiography
3. Radiation Effects and Radiation Safety
4. Imaging Services in the Healthcare Delivery System
5. Professional Behavior and Legal Considerations
Part II: Patient Care
6. Professional Attitudes and Communications
7. Workplace Safety
8. Infection Control Concepts
9. Infectious Diseases: Preventing Disease Transmission
10. Responding to PatientsÕ Personal and Physical Needs
11. Patient Assessment
12. Patient Transfer
13. Medication Information
14. Medication Administration
15. Emergency Response
16. Dealing with Acute Situations
Part III: Patient Care in Specific Procedures and Environments
17. Preparation and Examination of the Gastrointestinal Tract
18. Surgical Asepsis
19. Contrast Media and Special Radiographic Techniques
20. Mobile Radiography, Special Care Units, and Specialty Equipment
21. Surgical Radiography
22. Special Imaging Modalities
A. Radiography Practice and Standards
B. Informed Consent Form
C. Abbreviated List of Phrases with Guides to Pronunciation for Four Languages
D. Accepted Abbreviations and Descriptive Terms for Charting
E. Incident Report Form/Unusual Occurrence Report
F. Radiology Department Infection Control Procedures
G. Isolation Guidelines
H. Two- and Three-Person Lift
I. Urine Collection
J. Iodinated Contrast Media Products for Radiography
K. Catheterization Technique
Ruth Ann Ehrlich, RT(R), Radiology Faculty (Retired), Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, OR; Adjunct Faculty, Portland Community College, Portland, OR