Calculation of Drug Dosages - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study, 9th Edition
Master the critical skills necessary to competently and confidently calculate drug dosages using Calculation of Drug Dosages. Written by Sheila J. Ogden, MSN, RN and Linda Fluharty, RNC, MSN, this updated 9th Edition provides you with an extensive review of essential math concepts before introducing and clearly explaining the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods of drug calculation. The book's popular "worktext" format builds on concepts as you go and reinforces what you learn with over 1,800 practice problems.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses with an extensive math review, covering the basic math skills essential for accurate calculation of drug dosages.
- Use chapter worksheets to practice solving realistic problems.
- Assess your understanding of chapter content using post-tests at the end of each chapter.
- Retain content more easily and build on your prior knowledge through a logical organization.
- Get additional practice and accurately gauge your overall understanding with a comprehensive post-test at the end of the book.
- Stay focused with learning objectives that explain what you should accomplish upon completion of each chapter.
- Know the latest drugs and technology used in the market with updated drug labels and equipment photos.
- Study at your own pace with 25 flash cards, now on Evolve, containing abbreviations, formulas, and conversions from the book.
- Check your work and see your mistakes with a detailed step-by-step answer key.
- Tap into a new chapter on obstetric dosages that provides you with practice problems using medications unique to this important nursing subspecialty.
- Use alert boxes that call attention to information crucial to math calculation and patient safety.
- Stay current with new content on Intake and Output (I & O).
- Reduce medication errors and increase patient safety via updated guidelines for The Joint Commission and Institute for Safe Medication Practice.
- Recognize the implications of drug accuracy with more drug labels added to critical care practice problems.
- Access Evolve online resources where you'll see 5-10 new practice problems related to each chapter and the new updated Drug Calculations Companion (Version 4), featuring an interactive student tutorial that includes an extensive menu of various topic areas within drug calculations such as oral, parenteral, pediatric, and intravenous calculations to name a few. And over 600 practice problems cover ratio-proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods.
Part I Review of Mathematics
Review of Mathematics Pretest
Review of Mathematics Posttest
Part II Units and Measurements for the Calculation of Drug Dosages
6. Metric and Household Measurements
7. Apothecary and Household Measurements
8. Equivalents between Apothecary and Metric Measurements
Part III Preparation for Calculation of Drug Dosages
9. Safety in Medication Administration
10. Interpretation of the Physician's Orders
11. How to Read Drug Labels
12. Dimensional Analysis and the Calculation of Drug Dosages
Part IV Calculation of Drug Dosages
13. Oral Dosages
14. Parenteral Dosages
15. Dosages Measured in Units
16. Intravenous Flow Rates
17. Critical Care Intravenous Flow Rates
18. Pediatric Dosages
Part V Drug Administration Considerations
19. Automated Medication Dispensing Systems
20. Special Considerations for the Administration of Medications to the Elderly
21. Home Care Considerations in the Administration of Medications
Sheila J. Ogden, RN, MSN, Orthopaedics Program Director, Clarian Health Partners, Indianapolis, IN, USA and Linda Fluharty, RN, MSN, Associate Professor, Nursing Program, Ivy Tech State College, Indianapolis, IN