Principles and Practice of Psychiatric Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Using the latest clinical research and diagnoses, Principles and Practice of Psychiatric Nursing, 10th Edition provides a holistic, biopsychosocial approach to psychiatric nursing care. It follows the popular Stuart stress-adaptation framework and includes comprehensive coverage to simplify important nursing and medical concepts, promote quality and safety in care, and address psychobiology and psychopharmacology topics integral to today’s psychiatry. New to this edition is a chapter on psychiatric care of military personnel, plus the latest on health care reform, prescription abuse, and obesity issues. Written by psychiatric nursing expert Gail W. Stuart, this market-leading text makes it easy to apply classroom theory to clinical practice.
- Provides a comprehensive presentation of current principles and practice of psychiatric nursing with a balance of theory and clinical application.
- In text and online learning tools including bolding of important concepts in the textbook, chapter study notes, audio chapter summaries, new consumer videos, and much more.
- The Stuart Stress Adaptation Model of health and wellness provides a consistent nursing-oriented framework.
- An emphasis on evidence-based practice bridges the knowledge gap between clinical research and everyday care.
- Summarizing the Evidence boxes in the disorders chapters examine the research that supports psychiatric nursing care and highlight findings in the field.
- Family focus and discussion of outpatient care is emphasized throughout the text in response to current trends in psychiatric nursing.
- Nursing Treatment Plan Summary tables present care plans including patient goals with nursing interventions and rationales to guide nursing care related to the treatment of major disorders.
- Patient Education Plan and Family Education Plan tables include key information that the nurse needs to share with the patient and his or her family.
- Case studies provide in-depth examples of clinical scenarios to demonstrate step-by-step application of the nursing process.
- Critical thinking questions interspersed throughout the text challenge you and promote independent clinical reasoning.
- Therapeutic Dialogue boxes offer specific examples of nurse-patient interactions to demonstrate the difference between therapeutic and nontherapeutic communication.
- A Patient Speaks and A Family Speaks boxes present short vignettes in a patient’s and family’s own words.
- Competent Caring: A Clinical Exemplar of a Psychiatric Nurse boxes feature practicing psychiatric nurses sharing clinical experiences and personal insights related to the chapter topic.
- The Military and Their Families chapter addresses the issues and concerns surrounding the mental health needs of active, veteran, and National Guard personnel.
- Updated coverage includes the latest on health care reform, prevention and mental health promotion, recovery and self determination, prescription abuse, and obesity issues related to mental health care.
- Case studies in clinical chapters include scenarios related to chapter content and provide opportunities to develop clinical reasoning skills.
- Summary of Evidence boxes help you understand the latest clinical research and apply it to practice.
- Clinical Reasoning boxes provide opportunities to make a decision based on a particular clinical situation.
- Quality & Safety boxes discuss QSEN competencies or other quality and safety issues.
- Icons and references identify additional resources on the Evolve companion website and in the Pageburst digital version of the text.
Unit One: Principles of Psychiatric Nursing Care
1. Roles and Functions of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses: Competent Caring
2. Therapeutic Nurse-Patient Relationship
3. The Stuart Stress Adaptation Model of Psychiatric Nursing Care
4. Evidence-Based Psychiatric Nursing Practice
5. Biological Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
6. Psychological Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
7. Social, Cultural, and Spiritual Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
8. Legal and Ethical Context of Psychiatric Nursing Care
9. Policy and Advocacy in Mental Health Care
10. Families as Resources, Caregivers, and Collaborators
11. Implementing the Nursing Process: Standards of Practice and Professional Performance
Unit Two: Continuum of Care
12. Prevention and Mental Health Promotion
13. Crisis and Disaster Intervention
14. Recovery Support
Unit Three: Applying Principles in Nursing Practice
15. Anxiety Responses and Anxiety Disorders
16. Psychophysiological Responses and Somatoform and Sleep Disorders
17. Self-Concept Responses and Dissociative Disorders
18. Emotional Responses and Mood Disorders
19. Self-Protective Responses and Suicidal Behavior
20. Neurobiological Responses and Schizophrenia and Psychotic Disorders
21. Social Responses and Personality Disorders
22. Cognitive Responses and Organic Mental Disorders
23. Chemically Mediated Responses and Substance-Related Disorders
24. Eating Regulation Responses and Eating Disorders
25. Sexual Responses and Sexual Disorders
Unit Four: Treatment Modalities
27. Behavior Change and Cognitive Interventions
28. Preventing and Managing Aggressive Behavior
29. Somatic Therapies
30. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
31. Therapeutic Groups
32. Family Interventions
Unit Five: Treatment Settings
33. Hospital-Based Psychiatric Nursing Care
34. Community-Based Psychiatric Nursing Care
Unit Six: Special Populations in Psychiatry
35. Child Psychiatric Nursing
36. Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing
37. Geropsychiatric Nursing
38. Care of Survivors of Abuse and Violence
39. NEW! The Military and Their Families
40. Psychological Care of Patients with a Life-Threatening Illness
A: NANDA-Approved Nursing Diagnoses
B: Diagnostic Criteria for Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR)
Gail Wiscarz Stuart, PhD, RN, FAAN, Dean and Professor, College of Nursing, Professor, College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC