Sedation - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Page Count: 624
List Price: $99.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
Combining essential theory with “how-to technical instruction, this concise guide is the leading reference for basic techniques in sedation and anxiety control in the dental office. The latest guidelines from the ADA and the American Society of Anesthesiologists keep you up-to-date with the latest medical standards. Content on patient management for pediatric, geriatric, physically compromised, and medically compromised patients helps you successfully treat any patient population.
- In-depth discussions of the pharmacology of commonly used sedative agents allow you to fully understand properties and characteristics of drugs used.
- Combines all aspects of sedation with essential theory and instruction
- Boxes and tables highlight key information and make it easy to find important content.
- Chapter 40-Legal Considerations includes the current liability standards for patient treatment to help you protect yourself and your patients.
- Chapter 41-The Controversial Development of Anesthesiology in Dentistry focuses on the growing controversies, legal and otherwise, from both without and within the profession.
- Updated patient management procedures provide the most current guidelines on everything from AHA CPR standards to the safest sedative procedures.
- Full-color art program shows anatomy and other important concepts in vibrant detail.
- Photos of the newest sedation and emergency equipment ensure you have the latest information on developments in the field.
SECTION 1: INTRODUCTION
1. Pain and Anxiety in Dentistry
SECTION II: SPECTRUM OF PAIN AND ANXIETY CONTROL
2. Introduction to Sedation
3. The Spectrum of Pain and Anxiety Control
4. Physical and Psychological Evaluation
5. Monitoring During Conscious Sedation
6. Nondrug Techniques: Iatrosedation and Hypnosis
SECTION III: ORAL, RECTAL, AND INTRAMUSCULAR SEDATION
7. Oral Sedation
8. Rectal Sedation
9. Sublingual, Transdermal and Intranasal Sedation
10. Intramuscular Sedation
SECTION IV: INHALATION SEDATION
11. Inhalation Sedation: Historical Perspective
12. Pharmacosedation: Rationale
13. Pharmacology, Anatomy, and Physiology
15. Inhalation Sedation: Techniques of Administration
16. Inhalation Sedation: Complications
17. Contemporary Issues Surrounding Nitrous Oxide
18. Practical Considerations
19. Teaching Inhalation Sedation: History and Present Guidelines
SECTION V: INTRAVENOUS SEDATION
20. Intravenous Sedation: Historical Perspective
21. Intravenous Conscious Sedation: Rationale
23. Anatomy for Venipuncture
24. Venipuncture Technique
26. Intravenous Sedation: Techniques of Administration
27. Intravenous Sedation: Complications
28. Practical Considerations
29. Guidelines for Teaching
SECTION VI: GENERAL ANESTHESIA
30. Fundamentals of General Anesthesia
31. Armamentarium, Drugs, and Techniques
SECTION VII: EMERGENCY PREPARATION AND MANAGEMENT
32. Preparation for Emergencies
33. Emergency Drugs and Equipment
34. Management of Emergencies
SECTION VIII: SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS
35. The Pediatric Patient
36. The Geriatric Patient
37. The Medically Compromised Patient
38. The Physically Compromised Patient
39. Neurologic Illnesses and Other Conditions
40. Medicolegal Considerations - NEW!
41. The Controversial Development of Anesthesiology in Dentistry - NEW!
Stanley F. Malamed, DDS, Professor and Chair, Section of Anesthesia and Medicine, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA