Manual of Equine Reproduction - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Now in full color, Manual of Equine Reproduction, 3rd Edition provides a comprehensive look at the reproductive management of horses, including management of stallions, pregnant mares, and neonatal foals. Expert authors use a concise, practical approach in discussing improved therapies and treatments in equine breeding. You’ll enhance your skills and knowledge with this book’s detailed coverage of techniques used in reproductive examination, breeding procedures, pregnancy diagnosis, foaling, and reproductive tract surgery.
- A clinical emphasis includes a step-by-step format of possible scenarios from conception to breeding management.
- Practical information includes topics such as breeding with transported cooled or frozen semen, and caring for the broodmare and newborn foal.
- The organization of material corresponds to the course of study in veterinary school, so you can find topics easily.
- Chapter objectives and study questions at the beginning of each chapter guide you through the material and provide clear learning goals.
- Evaluation of Breeding Records chapter covers the importance of breeding records, and how to use them to evaluate stallion performance and optimize fertility.
- References are listed at the end of each chapter for further research and study.
- Full-color photographs and illustrations clearly depict procedures, and all drawings have been redrawn and improved.
- NEW Assisted Reproductive Technology chapter goes beyond embryo transfer.
- Updated content includes the latest advances in therapies and treatments.
- New content is added to two chapters, Reproductive Physiology of the Nonpregnant Mare and Manipulation of Estrus in the Mare.
- Thorough coverage of every aspect of equine reproduction provides a strong foundation for success in veterinary practice, including a discussion of the use of GnRH-analog deslorelin (Ovuplant) to hasten ovulation; aseptic technique for endometrial biopsy; use of transabdominal ultrasonography, especially in early pregnancy; determination of fetal gender by transrectal ultrasonography; aspiration testicular biopsy using a spring-loaded biopsy instrument; and procedure for surgical embryo transfer.
1. Reproductive Anatomy of the Mare 2. Reproductive Physiology of the Nonpregnant Mare expanded chapter! 3. Manipulation of Estrus in the Mare expanded chapter! 4. Breeding Soundness Examination of the Mare 5. Transrectal Ultrasonography in Broodmare Practice 6. Endometritis 7. Pregnancy: Physiology and Diagnosis 8. Pregnancy Loss 9. Management of the Pregnant Mare 10. Dystocia and Postparturient Disease 11. Routine Management of the Neonatal Foal expanded chapter! 12. Semen Collection and Artificial Insemination with Fresh Semen 13. Examination of the Stallion for Breeding Soundness 14. Semen Preservation 15. Surgery of the Mare Reproductive Tract 16. Surgery of the Stallion Reproductive Tract 17. Embryo Transfer 18. Evaluation of Breeding Records 19. Assisted Reproductive Technology NEW chapter!
Terry L. Blanchard, DVM, MS, Dipl ACT, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX, Dickson D. Varner, DVM, MS, Dipl ACT, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX, James Schumacher, DVM, MS, MRCVS, Dip ACVS, Professor, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, USA, Charles C. Love, DVM, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX, Steven P. Brinsko, DVM, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX and Sherri L. Rigby, DVM, PhD, Dipl ACT, Technical Services, Bayer Animal Health, Virginia Beach, VA