Pathophysiology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
With easy-to-read, in-depth descriptions of disease, disease etiology, and disease processes, Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children, 7th Edition helps you understand the most important and the most complex pathophysiology concepts. More than 1,200 full-color illustrations and photographs make it easier to identify normal anatomy and physiology, as well as alterations of function. This edition includes a NEW Epigenetics and Disease chapter along with additional What’s New boxes highlighting the latest advances in pathophysiology. Written by well-known educators Kathryn McCance and Sue Huether, and joined by a team of expert contributors, this resource is the most comprehensive and authoritative pathophysiology text available!
- Unparalleled coverage of disease processes makes this text the most comprehensive pathophysiology text available.
- The largest full-color art program in the field illustrates the clinical manifestations of diseases and disease processes
- Consistent presentations of each disease with pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment help you find the information you need quickly and easily.
- Ten separate pediatric chapters cover the pathophysiologic effects on children.
- Aging content is highlighted throughout the text.
- An Introduction to Pathophysiology section at the beginning of the text provides a solid start to the basics of the study of disease.
- Algorithms and flowcharts of diseases and disorders illustrate the disease process in an easy-to-understand format.
- Nutrition and Disease boxes present evidence-based information on the relationship between health promotion through diet and disease.
- Updated content on leukocytes in pain modulation, seizure disorders, brain injuries and disorders, acute encephalopathies, reproductive disorders, and much more keep you at the cutting edge of this constantly changing field.
- What’s New? boxes highlight the most current research and findings to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.
- New animations, review questions, Key Points, and an audio glossary have been added to the Evolve companion website to strengthen your understanding of key concepts.
- Media Resources Lists encourage you to develop a study plan to master the important content in each chapter.
PART ONE: CENTRAL CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY: CELLS AND TISSUES Unit I: The Cell 1. Cellular Biology 2. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology 3. The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases Unit II: Genes and Gene-Environment Interaction 4. Genes and Genetic Diseases 5. Genes, Environment-Lifestyle, and Common Diseases 6. Epigenetics and Disease NEW! Unit III: Mechanisms of Self-Defense 7. Innate Immunity: Inflammation 8. Adaptive Immunity 9. Alterations in Immunity and Inflammation 10. Infection 11. Stress and Disease Unit IV: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer 12. Cancer Biology 13. Cancer Epidemiology 14. Cancer in Children PART TWO: PATHOPHYSIOLOGIC ALTERATIONS: ORGANS AND SYSTEMS Unit V: The Neurologic System 15. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System 16. Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function 17. Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function 18. Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and the Neuromuscular Junction 19. Neurobiology of Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders 20. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children Unit VI: The Endocrine System 21. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation 22. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation Unit VII: The Reproductive Systems 23. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems 24. Alterations of the Female Reproductive System 25. Alterations of the Male Reproductive System 26. Sexually Transmitted Infections Unit VIII: The Hematologic System 27. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System 28. Alterations of Erythrocyte Function 29. Alterations of Leukocyte, Lymphoid, and Hemostatic Function 30. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children Unit IX: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems 31. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems 32. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function 33. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children Unit X: The Pulmonary System 34. Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System 35. Alterations of Pulmonary Function 36. Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children Unit XI: The Renal and Urologic Systems 37. Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems 38. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function 39. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children Unit XII: The Digestive System 40. Structure and Function of the Digestive System 41. Alterations of Digestive Function 42. Alterations of Digestive Function in Children Unit XIII: The Musculoskeletal System 43. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System 44. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function 45. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children Unit XIV: The Integumentary System 46. Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument 47. Alterations of the Integument in Children Unit XV: Multiple Interacting Systems 48. Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Adults 49. Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Children
Kathryn L. McCance, MS, PhD, Professor, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT and Sue E. Huether, MS, PhD, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT