This product is available without an access card. Click the button below to get instant access now.
Grounded in the core competencies recommended by the AACN in collaboration with the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, Ebersole & Hess’ Toward Healthy Aging, 8th Edition is the most comprehensive resource on health promotion and maintenance for older adults and their caregivers. With coverage of communication, safety and ethical considerations, new genetic research, key aging issues, and common and uncommon conditions, you will have the knowledge you need to promote healthy lifestyle choices, properly address end-of-life issues, and provide effective, holistic care for older adults.
NEW! QSEN content highlights quality and safety issues students need to know when treating older patients.
NEW! Chapter covering the role of communication emphasizes the importance of communication in improving care.
NEW! Focus on genetics highlights the vast amount of new genetic research and its effects on all aspects of health and aging.
NEW! Information on ethical considerations explores and illustrates potential issues when dealing with older adults.
NEW! Healthy People 2020 information assists your students in integrating their knowledge about healthy aging considerations into care.
PART ONE: FOUNDATIONS OF HEALTHY AGING
1. Gerontological Nursing and an Aging Society
2. Health and Wellness
3. Theories of Aging
4. Physiological Changes with Aging
5. Culture, Gender, and Aging
6. Communicating with Older Adults
PART TWO: FOUNDATIONS OF CARING
7. Health Assessment in Gerontological Nursing
8. Laboratory Values and Diagnostics
10. The Use of Herbs and Supplements in Late Life
PART THREE: WELLNESS AND FUNCTION
11. Elimination, Sleep, Skin, and Foot Care
13. Environmental Safety and Security
14. Nutrition and Hydration
PART FOUR: WELLNESS AND CHRONIC ILLNESS
15. Chronic Conditions
16. Care Across the Continuum
17. Pain and Comfort
18. Mental Health
19. Cognitive Impairment
PART FIVE: HEALTHY AGING FOR ELDERS AND THEIR FAMILIES
20. Economic, Legal and Ethical Issues
21. Intimacy and Sexuality in Late Life
22. Relationships, Roles, and Transitions
23. Loss, Death, and Dying in Late Life
24. Self-Actualization, Spirituality, and Transcendence