Mosby's Textbook for Nursing Assistants - Soft Cover Version - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
- Complete coverage includes the knowledge and skills needed by the nursing assistant.
- A clear, readable writing style is supplemented with hundreds of full-color photographs and illustrations.
- Over 100 procedures are divided into pre-procedure, procedure, and post-procedure sections for easier learning.
- Skills on the NNAAP® exam are highlighted throughout and have been updated to match the 2012 test plan.
- Delegation Guidelines identify your specific responsibilities in accepting commonly delegated tasks.
- Teamwork and Time Management boxes indicate ways you can efficiently work with and help nursing team members.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes detail measures and cautions for providing safe, effective patient care.
- Caring About Culture boxes help you learn about the beliefs and customs of other cultures so you can provide appropriate care.
- Focus on Children and Older Persons boxes provide age-specific information about the special needs, considerations, and circumstances of children and older persons.
- Focus on Long-Term Care and Home Care boxes highlight information vital to providing competent care in these settings.
- Focus on Communication boxes provide guidelines for what to say and ask when communicating with residents, visitors, and the nursing team.
- Key abbreviations are included at the beginning of each chapter, with a comprehensive glossary at the back of the book.
- Key terms introduce chapter content with the important words and phrases.
- Chapter Review Questions are useful in guiding your study, reviewing what you have learned, and studying for a test or the competency evaluation.
- CD icons indicate skills included on the companion CD.
- Video clip icons indicate skills for which video clips are included on the free Evolve companion website.
- Video icons indicate skills included in the Mosby’s Nursing Assistant Video Skills 3.0 DVDs (sold separately).
- The Workbook and Competency Evaluation Review corresponds to chapters in the text and encourages learning with a wide variety of exercises and activities that challenge you to remember what you’ve learned. It also includes over 100 checklists, one for each procedure in the textbook. The Competency Evaluation Review includes content review, skills evaluation review, and two practice exams. Sold separately.
- NEW! The Person’s Rights and Pressure Ulcers chapters provides expanded information on these key areas.
- NEW Focus on PRIDE boxes highlight personal and professional responsibility, rights and respect, independence and social interaction, delegation and teamwork, and ethics and laws to help you promote pride in the person, family, and yourself.
- Two laminated, pocket-sized cards include information on normal vital signs, common measurement conversions, positioning, the 24-hour clock, and abdominal and lateral regions.
- Updated companion CD contains interactive procedures, including three new procedures, learning exercises, an updated audio glossary, and a new Spanish audio glossary with phrases and terms. An updated A&P review, Body Spectrum, is available on the CD and on the Evolve companion website.
1. Introduction to Health Care Agencies 2. The Person’s Rights NEW! 3. The Nursing Assistant 4. Ethics and Laws 5. Work Ethics 6. Communicating With the Health Team 7. Assisting With the Nursing Process 8. Understanding the Person 9. Body Structure and Function 10. Growth and Development 11. Care of the Older Person 12. Safety 13. Preventing Falls 14. Restraint Alternatives and Safe Restraint Use 15. Preventing Infection 16. Body Mechanics 17. Safely Moving and Transferring the Person 18. The Person’s Unit 19. Bedmaking 20. Personal Hygiene 21. Grooming 22. Urinary Elimination 23. Bowel Elimination 24. Nutrition and Fluids 25. Nutritional Support and IV Therapy 26. Measuring Vital Signs 27. Exercise and Activity 28. Comfort, Rest, and Sleep 29. Admissions, Transfers, and Discharges 30. Assisting With the Physical Examination 31. Collecting and Testing Specimens 32. The Person Having Surgery 33. Wound Care 34. Pressure Ulcers NEW! 35. Heat and Cold Applications 36. Oxygen Needs 37. Respiratory Support and Therapies 38. Rehabilitation and Restorative Nursing Care 39. Hearing, Speech, and Vision Problems 40. Cancer, Immune System, and Skin Disorders 41. Nervous System and Musculoskeletal Disorders 42. Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Lymphatic Disorders 43. Digestive and Endocrine Disorders 44. Urinary and Reproductive Disorders 45. Mental Health Problems 46. Confusion and Dementia 47. Developmental Disabilities 48. Sexuality 49. Caring for Mothers and Newborns 50. Assisted Living 51. Basic Emergency Care 52. End-of-Life Care Appendices:
A. National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP®) Written Examination Content Outline and Skills Evaluation
B. Key Recommendations from Dietary Guidelines 2010
C. Minimum Data Set: Selected Pages
Answers to Review Questions
Sheila A. Sorrentino, PhD, RN, Curriculum and Health Care Consultant, Anthem, AZ and Leighann Remmert, MS, RN, Clinical Instructor, Capital Area School of Practical Nursing, Springfield, IL