Mosby's Essentials for Nursing Assistants - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Designed for shorter programs of 85 hours or fewer, Mosby's Essentials for Nursing Assistants, 5th Edition provides coverage of the concepts and skills that are essential to becoming a nursing assistant. With focus on quality of life in the patient/person and self-pride in the nursing assistant this concise text emphasizes the importance of treating residents with respect while providing safe, competent, and efficient care.
- Written at a clear, readable 7th grade reading level.
- More than 500 full-color illustrations highlight key concepts and procedures providing a clear, visual explanation of concepts and actions.
- Covers over 75 procedures, divided into pre-procedure, procedure, and post-procedure sections for easier learning.
- Chapter Review Questions at the end of each chapter help readers reinforce and evaluate what they've learned.
- Caring About Culture boxes contain information to help readers learn about the practices and beliefs of other cultures.
- Persons with Dementia boxes outline special factors to consider when caring for persons with dementia.
- NNAAP in select procedure title bars alerts readers to skills that are part of the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program.
- UNIQUE! Mosby's Nursing Assistant CD-ROM, bound in the text, includes 25 procedures with corresponding video clips & exercises, an audio glossary, and Body Spectrum - an electronic anatomy coloring book.
- Focus On the Pride boxes emphasize Personal and professional responsibility, Rights and respect, Independence and social interaction, Delegation and teamwork, and Ethics and Laws providing a convenient overview of key elements of the nursing assistant’s responsibilities in providing competent patient care, and reminds readers that this caregiver role is one they can take pride in performing.
- Focus on Communication boxes includes guidelines for how to communicate most clearly to residents/patients and how to avoid making them feel uncomfortable emphasizing the importance of good communication while providing practical tips.
- Key Abbreviations are now listed at the beginning of each chapter to help familiarize readers with commonly used abbreviations.
- Includes three new chapters on Preventing Falls; Safely Handling, Moving, and Transferring the Person; and Mental Health Problems.
1. Introduction to Hospitals and Nursing Centers
2. The Person’s Rights NEW
3. The Nursing Assistant
4. Work Ethics
5. Communicating with the Health Team
6. Understanding the Person
7. Body Structure and Function
8. Caring for the Older Person
9. Assisting with Safety
10. Assisting with Fall Prevention
11. Assisting with Restraint Alternatives and Safe Restraint Use
12. Preventing Infection
13. Body Mechanics
14. Assisting with Moving and Transferring
15. Assisting With Comfort
16. Assisting With Hygiene
17. Assisting With Grooming
18. Assisting With Urinary Elimination
19. Assisting With Bowel Elimination
20. Assisting With Nutrition and Fluids
21. Assisting With Assessment
22. Assisting With Specimens
23. Assisting With Exercise and Activity
24. Assisting With Wound Care
25. Assisting with Pressure Ulcers NEW
26. Assisting With Oxygen Needs
27. Assisting With Rehabilitation and Restorative Care
28. Caring for Persons With Common Health Problems
29. Caring for Persons With Mental Health Problems
30. Caring for Persons With Confusion and Dementia
31. Assisting With Emergency Care
32. Assisting with End-of-Life Care
Sheila A. Sorrentino, PhD, RN, Curriculum and Health Care Consultant, Anthem, AZ and Leighann Remmert, MS, RN, Clinical Instructor, Capital Area School of Practical Nursing, Springfield, IL