Provide safe and effective care in any type of long-term care setting! Mosby's Textbook for Long-Term Care Nursing Assistants provides a complete guide to the skills you need as a nursing assistant. More than 100 key procedures are described with clear, easy-to-learn instructions. Written by noted educator and author Sheila Sorrentino, this edition adds coverage that will help you care for residents with acute or chronic medical conditions.
Unit I: Working in Long-Term Care Settings
1. Introduction to Long-Term Care
2. Resident Rights NEW!
3. The Nursing Assistant in Long-Term Care
4. Ethics and Laws
5. Work Ethics
6. Communicating With the Health Team
7. Assisting With the Nursing Process
Unit II: Focusing on the Person
8. Understanding the Resident
9. Body Structure and Function
10. The Older Person
Unit III: Protecting the Person
13. Preventing Falls
14. Restraint Alternatives and Safe Restraint Use
15. Preventing Infection
16. Body Mechanics
17. Safe Resident Handling, Moving, and Transfers
Unit IV: Assisting With Activities of Daily Living
18. The Resident's Unit
22. Urinary Elimination
23. Bowel Elimination
24. Nutrition and Fluids
25. Nutritional Support and IV Therapy
26. Exercise and Activity
27. Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
28. Oxygen Needs
29. Respiratory Support and Therapies NEW!
30. Assisted Living
Unit V: Assisting With Assessment
31. Measuring Vital Signs
32. Assisting With the Physical Examination
33. Collecting and Testing Specimens
Unit VI: Assisting With Care Needs
34. Admitting, Transferring, and Discharging Residents
35. Wound Care
36. Heat and Cold Applications
37. Hearing, Speech, and Vision Problems
38. Cancer and Immune System Disorders NEW!
39. Nervous System and Musculoskeletal Disorders NEW!
40. Cardiovascular and Respiratory Disorders NEW!
41. Digestive and Endocrine Disorders NEW!
42. Urinary and Reproductive Disorders NEW!
43. Mental Health Problems
44. Confusion and Dementia
45. Developmental Disabilities
46. Rehabilitation and Restorative Care
47. Basic Emergency Care
48. The Dying Person