Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study (Retail Access Card), 12th Edition
Berry & Kohn’s Operating Room Technique has been the text of choice for understanding basic surgical principles and techniques for more than 50 years. Highly readable, accurate, and comprehensive, it covers the "nuts and bolts" of surgical techniques in a format that makes it easy to effectively apply basic principles to clinical practice. Expert author Nancymarie Phillips emphasizes the importance of teamwork throughout, with practical strategies and examples of how cooperation among perioperative caregivers contributes to positive patient care outcomes.
- Detailed coverage presents the fundamentals of perioperative nursing and surgical technology roles.
- A strong focus on the physiological, psychological, and spiritual considerations of perioperative patients gives you the knowledge you need to plan and implement comprehensive, individualized care.
- Discussions of perioperative patient care for both inpatient and ambulatory procedures highlights key considerations for each setting, as well as for individual surgical procedures.
- In-depth discussions of patients with special needs related to age or health status helps you learn to develop of a plan of care tailored to the unique care parameters of all patients.
- Helpful features such as chapter outlines with page numbers, chapter objectives, and key terms and definitions help you quickly find important information and focus your study time.
- NEW! Over 50 new and revised illustrations reflect the latest perioperative procedures, techniques, and equipment.
- Updated content ensures you have the latest information on key topics, including:
- Computerized documentation
- "Never Events" and reimbursement
- Credentialing and certification
- Bioterrorism and prion contamination
- Surgical hand hygiene, gowning, and gloving
- Wound healing and hemostasis
- Surgical instrumentation
- NEW! References throughout the text highlight the importance of evidence-based practice.
- Expanded coverage in the Administration of Perioperative Patient Care Services chapter features managerial approaches to TeamSTEPPS and SCIP, as well as magnet status.
- Updated physical plant information offers the latest 2011 updates concerning air-flow and room size according to AAMI standards.
Section One: Fundamentals of Theory and Practice
1: Perioperative Education
2. Foundations of Perioperative Patient Care Standards
3. Legal, Regulatory, and Ethical Issues
Section Two: The Perioperative Patient Care Team
4. The Perioperative Patient Care Team and Professional Credentialing
5. The Surgical First Assistant
6. Administration of Perioperative Patient Care Services
Section Three: The Patient as a Unique Individual
7. The Patient: The Reason for Your Existence
8. Perioperative Pediatrics
9. Perioperative Geriatrics
Section Four: The Perioperative Environment
10. Physical Facilities
11. Ambulatory Surgery Centers and Alternative Surgical Locations
12. Care of the Perioperative Environment
13. Potential Sources of Injury to the Caregiver and the Patient
Section Five: Surgical Asepsis and Sterile Technique
14. Surgical Microbiology and Antimicrobial Therapy
15. Principles of Asepsis and Sterile Techniques
16. Appropriate Attire, Surgical Hand Hygiene, and Gowning and Gloving
17. Decontamination and Disinfection
Section Six: Surgical Instrumentation and Equipment
19. Surgical Instrumentation
20. Specialized Surgical Equipment
Section Seven: Preoperative Patient Care
21. Preoperative Preparation of the Patient
22. Diagnostics, Specimens, and Oncologic Considerations
Section Eight: Pharmacology and Anesthesia
23. Surgical Pharmacology
24. Anesthesia: Techniques and Agents
Section Nine: Intraoperative Patient Care
25. Coordinated Roles of the Scrub Person and the Circulating Nurse
26. Positioning, Prepping, and Draping the Patient
27. Physiologic Maintenance and Monitoring of the Perioperative Patient
Section Ten: Surgical Site Management
28. Surgical Incisions, Implants, and Wound Closure
29. Wound Healing and Hemostasis
Section Eleven: Perianesthesia and Postprocedural Patient Care
30. Postoperative Patient Care
31. Potential Perioperative Complications
Section Twelve: Surgical Specialties
32. Endoscopy and Robotic-Assisted Surgery
33. General Surgery
34. Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery
35. Urologic Surgery
36. Orthopedic Surgery
37. Neurosurgery of the Brain and Peripheral Nerves
38. Spinal Surgery
39. Ophthalmic Surgery
40. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
41. Otorhinolaryngologic and Head and Neck Surgery
42. Thoracic Surgery
43. Cardiac Surgery
44. Vascular Surgery
45. Organ Procurement and Transplantation
Nancymarie Phillips, RN, PhD, RNFA, CNOR, Director of Perioperative Education, Lakeland Community College, Kirtland, OH