Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians, 5th Edition
Now in full color, Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians, 5th Edition shows students how to administer prescribed drugs to animals, calculate drug dosages accurately, and instruct clients about side effects and precautions. Coverage of drug information includes pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse effects. An Evolve companion website enhances the book with narrated videos demonstrating drug administration techniques, animations of pharmacologic processes, dosage calculation exercises, and much more. Written by veterinary technology experts Boyce Wanamaker and Kathy Lockett Massey, this resource provides the pharmacology knowledge your students need to succeed as vet techs!
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures demonstrate proper administration techniques for common drug forms.
- Body systems organization provides a logical sequence of study, followed by anti-infectives, antiparasitics, anti-inflammatory agents, and others.
- Dosage calculation exercises provide practice immediately after new information is presented.
- Proprietary drug names are listed with generic drug names, highlighting drugs with generic options.
- Review questions reinforce understanding of key concepts, with answers located in the back of the book.
- An Evolve companion website provides drug administration videos, drug calculators with accompanying word problems, photos of drug labels, animations of pharmacologic processes, and dosage calculation exercises.
- Key terms, chapter outlines, and learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter make studying easier.
- Technician Notes provide useful hints and important reminders to help you avoid common errors and increase your efficiency.
- UNIQUE Pharmacy Management and Inventory Control chapter offers practical tips relating to vendor types, communicating with sales representatives, and using veterinary practice management software.
- Now in full color, UPDATED drug information keeps you current with the latest pharmacologic agents and their uses, adverse side effects, and dosage forms.
- NEW coverage of stem cell treatment in Immunologic Drugs chapter addresses scientific advances in this area.
- UPDATED fluid therapy chapter explains the role of parenteral fluids, oral fluids, and nutritional products in drug therapy.
1. General Pharmacology
2. Routes and Techniques of Drug Administration
3. Practical Calculations
4. Drugs Used in Nervous System Disorders
5. Drugs Used in Respiratory System Disorders
6. Drugs Used in Renal and Urinary Tract Disorders
7. Drugs Used in Cardiovascular System Disorders
8. Drugs Used in Gastrointestinal System Disorders
9. Drugs Used in Hormonal, Endocrine, and Reproductive Disorders
10. Drugs Used in Ophthalmic and Otic Disorders
11. Drugs Used in Skin Disorders
12. Anti-infective Drugs
13. Antiparasitic Drugs
14. Drugs Used to Relieve Pain and Inflammation
15. Therapeutic Nutritional, Fluid, and Electrolyte Replacements
16. Blood-Modifying, Antineoplastic, and Immunosuppressant Drugs
17. Immunologic Drugs
18. Miscellaneous Therapeutic Agents
19. Pharmacy Management and Inventory Control
Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in Veterinary Medicine
Appendix B: Weights and Measures
Appendix C: Antidotes
Appendix D: Drug Dosages
Appendix E: Drugs by Therapeutic Class
Appendix F: Controlled Substances Information
Boyce P. Wanamaker, DVM, MS, Program Director, Veterinary Technology Program, Columbia State Community College, Columbia, TN and Kathy Massey, LVMT, Instructor, Veterinary Technology Department, Columbia State Community College, Columbia, TN