Psychiatric Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),7th Edition
Learn the therapeutic skills you need to succeed in the nurse’s role in psychiatric care! Psychiatric Nursing, 7th Edition uses a practical approach to psychotherapeutic management that clearly explains how to manage and treat individuals with psychiatric disorders. It emphasizes the nurse’s three primary tools: you and your relationship with patients, medications, and the environment. This edition adds a new chapter on forensics along with coverage of the latest trends and treatments. Written by educators Norman Keltner and Debbie Steele, this text provides a solid, real-world foundation for the practice of safe and effective psychiatric nursing care.
- Unique! A practical three-pronged approach to psychotherapeutic management includes: 1) the therapeutic nurse-patient relationship, 2) psychopharmacology, and 3) milieu management.
- Unique! Norm's Notes offer helpful tips from the lead author at the beginning of each chapter, making it easier to understand difficult topics.
- Unique! Putting It All Together summaries are provided at the end of each chapter.
- Patient and Family Education boxes highlight information that should be provided to patients and families.
- Family Issues boxes highlight the issues families must confront when a member suffers from mental illness.
- Nursing care plans emphasize assessment, planning, nursing diagnoses, implementation, and evaluation for specific disorders.
- Case studies depict psychiatric disorders and show the development of effective nursing care strategies.
- Clinical examples from the authors' own experiences illustrate concepts with real-life clinical situations.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter preview the important principles to follow.
- Study Notes summarize each chapter's important content.
- Critical thinking questions help you expand your clinical reasoning skills.
- Suicide and Other Self Destructive Behaviors chapter identifies risk factors associated with suicidality and various forms and characteristics of self-mutilation.
- War Related Psychiatric Disorders chapter describes the symptoms and treatment options for posttraumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury patients.
- New approach for Introduction to Milieu Management chapter recognizes the shift of the therapeutic environment from inpatient units to community settings, plus nurses' changing roles.
- New approach for Nutraceuticals and Mental Health chapter focuses on foods that provide health and medical benefits.
- Student resources on the companion Evolve website include downloadable audio chapter summaries, NCLEX® examination-style review questions, psychotropic drug monographs, and learning activities.
Unit I: Introduction to Psychiatric Nursing 1. Introduction to Psychiatric Nursing 2. Psychotherapeutic Management in the Continuum of Care 3. Models for Working with Psychiatric Patients 4. Legal Issues 5. Psychobiologic Bases of Behavior Unit II: Therapeutic Nurse-Patient Relationship 6. Nurse-Patient Communication 7. Nurse-Patient Relationship 8. Nursing Process 9. Stress, Anxiety, Coping, and Crisis 10. Suicide and Other Self Destructive Behaviors 11. Working with the Aggressive Patient 12. Working with Groups of Patients 13. Working with the Family 14. Cultural Competence in Psychiatric Nursing 15. Spirituality Unit III: Psychopharmacology 16. Introduction to Psychotropic Drugs 17. Antiparkinsonian Drugs 18. Antipsychotic Drugs 19. Antidepressant Drugs 20. Antimanic Drugs 21. Antianxiety Drugs 22. Antidementia Drugs Unit IV: Milieu Management 23. Introduction to Milieu Management 24. Variables Affecting the Therapeutic Environment 25. Therapeutic Environment in Various Treatment Settings Unit V: Psychopathology 26. Introduction to Psychopathology 27. Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses 28. Depression 29. Bipolar Disorders 30. Anxiety-Related, Somatoform, and Dissociative Disorders 31. Cognitive Disorders 32. Personality Disorders 33. Sexual Disorders 34. Substance-Related Disorders 35. Dual Diagnosis 36. Eating Disorders Unit VI: Special Populations and Therapies in Psychiatric Nursing 37. Behavior and Somatic Therapies 38. Nutraceuticals and Mental Health 39. Survivors of Violence and Trauma 40. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing 41. Mental Disorders of Older Adults 42. War Related Psychiatric Disorders Appendix: Diagnostic Criteria for Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) Inside back cover: North American Nursing Diagnosis Association – Approved Nursing Diagnoses Glossary
Norman L. Keltner, EdD, RN, CRNP, Professor, School of Nursing, University of Alabama - Birmingham, Birmingham, AL and Debbie Steele