Mosby's Pocket Guide to Nursing Skills & Procedures,8th Edition
Take this reference to clinicals or on the job for quick access to nursing skills! Based on Perry & Potter's market-leading Clinical Nursing Skills & Techniques, Mosby's Pocket Guide to Nursing Skills & Procedures, 8th Edition presents 85 key skills in a convenient spiral-bound, A-to-Z format. Step-by-step instructions include full-color photos plus rationales explaining why and how to use specific techniques. This edition adds coverage of two new skills. With the latest in evidence-based practice, this guide helps you perform basic nursing skills safely and effectively. Also available as an eBook for use on hand-held devices!
- Safety alerts highlight important information for patient safety and effective performance of skills.
- Unexpected outcomes and related interventions help you troubleshoot potential problems and take appropriate actions to address them.
- Special Considerations address teaching, the home care setting, and care modifications for pediatric and geriatric patients.
- Clear, two-column format shows how to perform skills, with rationales for each step explaining the reason behind the practice and the benefit to patients.
- A Gloving logo identifies procedures in which clean gloves should be worn or gloves should be changed in order to minimize the risk of infection.
- Documentation guidelines include a bulleted list of what should be reported and recorded in the patient records.
- Alphabetical organization of skills makes it easy to find information quickly, and each skill begins on a new page.
- A convenient pocket size and spiral binding allow the book to fit easily into your coat pocket and to stay open on the page you want.
- UNIQUE! Up-to-date content is based on the most recent edition of Perry & Potter’s Clinical Nursing Skills & Techniques, the bestselling nursing skills text.
- NEW! Additional nursing skills include instructions for blood glucose testing and applying a pressure bandage, both important skills in today's practice.
A Skill 1 Acapella Device Skill 2 Apical-Radial Pulse Skill 3 Aquathermia and Heating Pads Skill 4 Aspiration Precautions Skill 5 Assistive Device Ambulation (Use of Crutches, Cane, and Walker) Skill 6 Automated External Defibrillator
B Skill 7 Bladder Volume Measurement Skill 8 Blood Administration Skill 9 Blood Glucose Testing NEW! Skill 10 Blood Pressure by Auscultation: Upper extremities, Lower extremities, Palpation Skill 11 Blood Pressure: Automatic
C Skill 12 Central Venous Access Device Care: CVC, Ports Skill 13 Chest Tube Care Skill 14 Cold Applications Skill 15 Condom Catheter Skill 16 Continuous Passive Motion Machine Skill 17 Continuous Subcutaneous Infusion
D Skill 18 Dressings: Dry and Moist-to-Dry, Skill 19 Dressings: Hydrocolloid, Hydrogel, Foam, or Alginate Skill 20 Dressings: Transparent
E Skill 21 Ear Drop Administration Skill 22 Ear Irrigations Skill 23 Enemas Skill 24 Enteral Nutrition via Gastrostomy or Jejunostomy Tube Skill 25 Enteral Nutrition via a Nasoenteric Feeding Tube Skill 26 Epidural Analgesia Skill 27 Eye Irrigation Skill 28 Eye Medications: Drops and Ointment
F Skill 29 Fall Prevention in a Health Care Facility Skill 30 Fecal Impaction: Removing Digitally
H Skill 31 Hypothermia and Hyperthermia Blankets
I Skill 32 Incentive Spirometery Skill 33 Intradermal Injections Skill 34 Intramuscular Injections Skill 35 Intravenous Medications: Intermittent Infusion Sets and Mini-Infusion Pumps Skill 36 Intravenous Medications: Intravenous Bolus Skill 37 Isolation Precautions
M Skill 38 Mechanical Lifts Skill 39 Metered-Dose Inhalers Skill 40 Moist Heat (Compress and Sitz Bath) Skill 41 Mouth Care: Unconscious or Debilitated Patients
N Skill 42 Nail and Foot Care Skill 43 Nasoenteral Tube: Placement and Irrigation Skill 44 Nasogastric Tube for Gastric Decompression: Insertion and Removal Skill 45 Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
O Skill 46 Oral Medications Skill 47 Oral Medications: Nasogastric Tube Administration Skill 48 Ostomy Care (Pouching) Skill 49 Oxygen Therapy: Nasal Cannula, Oxygen Mask, T Tube, or Tracheostomy Collar
P Skill 50 Parenteral Medication Preparation: Ampules and Vials Skill 51 Parenteral Medications: Mixing Medications in One Syringe Skill 52 Patient-Controlled Analgesia Skill 53 Peripheral Intravenous Care: Dressing Care, Discontinuation Skill 54 Peripheral Intravenous Insertion Skill 55 Peripheral Intravenous Care: Regulating Intravenous Flow Rate, Changing Tubing and Solution Skill 56 Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter Care Skill 57 Postoperative Exercises Skill 58 Pressure Bandages (Applying) NEW! Skill 59 Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment Skill 60 Pressure Ulcer Treatment Skill 61 Pulse Oximetry
R Skill 62 Rectal Suppository Insertion Skill 63 Respiration Assessment Skill 64 Restraint Application Skill 65 Restraint-Free Environment
S Skill 66 Seizure Precautions Skill 67 Sequential Compression Device and Elastic Stockings Skill 68 Specialty Beds: Air-Fluidized, Air Suspension, and Rotokenetic Skill 69 Sterile Gloving Skill 70 Sterile technique: Donning and Removing Cap, Mask, and Protective Eyewear Skill 71 Subcutaneous Injections Skill 72 Suctioning: Closed (In-line) Skill 73 Suctioning: Nasopharyngeal, Nasotracheal, and Artificial Airway Skill 74 Suprapubic Catheter Care Skill 75 Suture and Staple Removal
T Skill 76 Topical Skin Applications Skill 77 Tracheostomy Care
U Skill 78 Urinary Catheter Insertion Skill 79 Urinary Catheter: Care and Removal Skill 80 Urinary Catheter Irrigation Skill 81 Urinary Diversion: Pouching an Incontinent Urinary Diversion
V Skill 82 Vaginal Instillations Skill 83 Venipuncture: Collecting Blood Specimens and Cultures by Syringe and Vacutainer Method
W Skill 84 Wound Drainage Devices: Jackson Pratt, Hemovac Skill 85 Wound Irrigation
Appendices: CDC Isolation Guidelines for Tier I and Tier II Bibliography TJC Official Do Not Use list of Abbreviations [inside front cover] Preprocedure/Postprocedure Protocol [back page/inside back cover]
Anne Griffin Perry, RN, EdD, FAAN, Professor and Associate Dean, School of Nursing, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, IL and Patricia A. Potter, RN, MSN, PhD, FAAN, Director of Research, Patient Care Services
St. Louis, MO