Kinn's The Medical Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 12th Edition
Prepare for a successful career in medical assisting! Kinn’s The Medical Assistant, 12th Edition helps you learn the real-world administrative and clinical skills essential to working in the health care setting. Administrative coverage ranges from professionalism and interpersonal skills to billing and coding and electronic health records; clinical content teaches how to assist with medications, diagnostic procedures, and surgeries. And no other comprehensive medical assisting text can match its coverage of assisting with medical specialties! Written by medical assisting experts Deborah Proctor and Alexandra Adams, this classic resource also includes an Evolve companion website with practical exercises and activities, videos, and review questions for the CMA and RMA certification exams.
- More chapters on assisting with medical specialties than any other Medical Assisting text prepare you to assist in specialty exams and make you better qualified to work in specialty fields like cardiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, gynecology, and neurology.
- Step-by-step, illustrated procedures make it easier to learn and understand medical assisting skills, and include rationales for each step.
- Threaded case scenarios help you develop critical thinking skills and apply concepts to realistic administrative and clinical situations.
- Patient education and legal and ethical issues are described in relation to the Medical Assistant's job.
- A Portfolio Builder on the Evolve website helps you demonstrate proficiency to potential employers.
- Detailed learning objectives and vocabulary with definitions in each chapter help you study more effectively, with connections icons linking concepts in the text to exercises in the study guide and on the Evolve companion website.
- Study Guide includes a variety of exercises to test your knowledge and critical thinking skills, case scenarios from the book, and a Procedure Checklists Manual. Sold separately.
- NEW! Charting examples within the procedures are highlighted for easier learning.
- UPDATED coverage of the Electronic Health Record ensures that you are familiar with the technology you'll use on the job.
- UPDATED content on alternative therapies and treatment includes the latest herbal remedies such as red rice yeast for lowering cholesterol, St. John’s Wort for depression, and probiotic bacteria for GI maladies.
1. Becoming a Successful Student
2. The Healthcare Industry
Unit One: Introduction to Medical Assisting
3. The Medical Assisting Profession
4. Professional Behavior in the Workplace
5. Interpersonal Skills and Human Behavior
6. Medicine and Ethics
7. Medicine and Law
Unit Two: Administrative Medical Assisting
8. Computer Concepts
9. Telephone Techniques
10. Scheduling Appointments
11. Patient Reception and Processing
12. Office Environment and Daily Operations
13. Written Communications and Mail Processing
Unit Three: Health Information in the Medical Office
14. The Paper Medical Record (formerly Medical Records Management)
15. The Electronic Medical Record
16. Health Information Management
17. Privacy in the Physician's Office
Unit Four: Billing and Coding Procedures
18. Basics of Diagnostic Coding
19. Basics of Procedural Coding
20. Basics of Health Insurance
21. The Health Insurance Claim Form
22. Professional Fees, Billing, and Collecting
Unit Five: Financial and Practice Management
23. Banking Services and Procedures
24. Management of Practice Finances
25. Medical Practice Management and Human Resources
26. Medical Practice Marketing and Customer Service
Unit Six: Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting
27. Infection Control
28. Patient Assessment
29. Patient Education
30. Nutrition and Health Promotion
31. Vital Signs
32. Assisting with the Primary Physical Examination
Unit Seven: Assisting with Medications
33. Principles of Pharmacology
34. Pharmacology Math
35. Administering Medications
Unit Eight: Assisting with Medical Specialties
36. Emergency Preparedness and Assisting With Medical Emergencies
37. Assisting in Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
38. Assisting in Dermatology
39. Assisting in Gastroenterology
40. Assisting in Urology and Male Reproduction
41. Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology
42. Assisting in Pediatrics
43. Assisting in Orthopedic Medicine
44. Assisting in Neurology and Mental Health
45. Assisting in Endocrinology
46. Assisting in Pulmonary Medicine
47. Assisting in Cardiology
48. Assisting in Geriatrics
Unit Nine: Diagnostic Procedures
49. Principles of Electrocardiography
50. Assisting with Diagnostic Imaging
51. Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory
52. Assisting in the Analysis of Urine
53. Assisting in Phlebotomy
54. Assisting in the Analysis of Blood
55. Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
Unit Ten: Assisting with Surgeries
56. Surgical Supplies and Instruments
57. Surgical Asepsis and Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Unit Eleven: Career Development
58. Career Development and Life Skills
Deborah B. Proctor, EdD, RN, CMA, Professor and Director, Medical Assisting Program, Butler County Community College, Butler, PA and Alexandra Patricia Adams, BBA, RMA, CMA (AAMA), MA, Adjunct Instructor, Everest College, Arlington Midcities Campus, Arlington, TX; Professional Writer, Grand Prairie, TX; Formerly, Director of Admissions, Parker College of Chiropractic, Dallas, TX; Formerly, Program Director, Medical Assisting/HIM Programs, Ultrasound Diagnostic School, Irving, TX