Reflecting emerging trends in today’s health information management, Health Information Technology, 3rd Edition covers everything from electronic health records and collecting healthcare data to coding and compliance. It prepares you for a role as a Registered Health Information Technician, one in which you not only file and keep accurate records but serve as a healthcare analyst who translates data into useful, quality information that can control costs and further research. This edition includes new full-color illustrations and easy access to definitions of daunting terms and acronyms. Written by expert educators Nadinia Davis and Melissa LaCour, this book also offers invaluable preparation for the HIT certification exam.
- Chapter learning objectives are tied to the American Health Information Management Association's (AHIMA) domains and sub-domains of the Health Information Technology (HIT) curriculum to allow instructors to teach to the credentialing exam and to help students prepare for the exam.
- Provides job descriptions in every chapter to give students a broader view of the field and show them they many options they have upon graduation.
- Includes application-oriented exercises and activities in each chapter to make learning more interactive for students and to also fulfill the AHIMA HIT curriculum requirements.
- Each chapter builds on the previous chapter and encourages the application of key concepts to support comprehensive learning of the material.
- A clear writing style and easy reading level is appropriate for two-year postsecondary students to make their reading and studying more time-efficient.
- A comprehensive Instructor's Resource Manual with CD-ROM makes it easier for instructors to develop and teach the course.
- Evolve provides an interactive learning environment instructors can utilize to work with the text.
- Workbook exercises are incorporated into the text to keep the core content and review material close together.
- Material on statistics have been broken out into a new, separate chapter to give new students a better foundation for learning.
- New Special Health Records chapter includes information on accreditation and major Health Information Management (HIM) issues.
- Includes a computer-based health systems chapter to address how HIM is moving to an increasingly electronic environment.
- A new Confidentiality and Compliance chapter covers HIPAA Privacy regulations.
Unit One: Environment of Health Information
1. Health Care Delivery Systems
2. Paying for Health Care
3. Collecting Health Care Data
Unit Two: Content, Structure, and Processing of Health Information
4. Acute Care Records
5. HIM Processing
6. Coding and Reimbursement
7. HIM Issues in Alternative Settings
Unit Three: Maintenance and Analysis of Health Information
9. Statistics New!
10. Quality and Uses of Health Information
Unit Four: Legal and Supervisory Issues in Health Information
11. Confidentiality and Compliance New!
12. Electronic Health Records New!
13. HIM Department Management
14. Training & Development
A. Sample Paper Records
B. Sample Electronic Records
C. Minimum Data Set
D. Excel Exercises