Workbook for Health Insurance Today, 5th Edition
Corresponding to the chapters in Health Insurance Today, 5th Edition, this workbook gives you practice with the skills you will need to succeed as a health insurance professional. Practical assignments reinforce the information in the text, and engaging learning activities and exercises challenge you to apply your knowledge to real-world situations.
- Performance objectives include hands-on, application-based learning activities with practice in areas such as completing claim forms, posting payments to a patient's ledger, filling out "Release to Return to Work" forms, and filling out Medicare appeals.
- Critical thinking activities strengthen your ability to apply health insurance concepts to a variety of challenging situations.
- Defining Chapter Terms activities help you review and understand key terms in each chapter.
- Chapter assessments test your knowledge of text content with multiple choice, true/false, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions.
- Problem solving/collaborative (group) activities emphasize the importance of teamwork in the health care field.
- Case studies ask you to solve a real-world problem related to health insurance, such as completing a CMS-1500 claim form or explaining how HIPAA could affect someone recently out of work.
- Application exercises ask you to apply your knowledge and skills to real-world situations.
- In-class projects and discussion topics enhance your understanding of specific content from the text.
- Internet Exploration exercises in each chapter help you learn how to perform research online.
- NEW! Key coverage of new topics includes Medicare, Electronic Health Records, and Version 5010.
- UPDATED! Additional ICD-10 coding content prepares you for the upcoming switch to the new coding system in October 2015.
- NEW! Content on Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ensures you stay current on these significant healthcare system changes.
Unit 1: Building a Foundation 1. The Origins of Health Insurance 2. Tools of the Trade: A Career as a Health (Medical) Insurance Professional 3. The Legal and Ethical Side of Medical Insurance 4. Types and Sources of Health Insurance
Unit 2: Health Insurance Basics 5. Claim Submission Methods 6. Traditional Fee-for-Service/Private Plans 7. Unraveling the Mysteries of Managed Care 8. Understanding Medicaid 9. Conquering Medicare’s Challenges 10. Military Carriers 11. Miscellaneous Carriers: Workers’ Compensation and Disability Insurance
Unit 3: Cracking the Codes 12. Diagnostic Coding 13. Procedural, Evaluation and Management, and HCPCS Coding Unit 4: The Claims Process 14. The Patient 15. Keys to Successful Claims Management
Unit 5: Advanced Application 16. The Role of Computers in Health Insurance 17. Reimbursement Procedures: Getting Paid 18. Hospital Billing and the UB-04 Appendix A: Sample Blank Forms to be Reproduced
Janet I. Beik, AA, BA, MEd, Southeastern Community College (retired), Administrative Instructor, Medical Assistant Program, West Burlington, IA, USA