Virtual Medical Office Online and Print Workbook for Health Insurance Today, 5th Edition
Gain meaningful practice working at the Mountain View Clinic virtual medical practice, where you will encounter 15 unique patient scenarios and the various payments, billing situations, and common coding errors that accompany them. This immersive online experience and its coordinating study guide lessons will encourage you to apply what you’re learning in the main Health Insurance Today text as you collect information from a variety of sources and make decisions about how each case should be coded and billed. The five videos are included for each case — one at check-in, three in the exam room, and one at check-out — giving you ample opportunities to practice and learn how patients are processed through the medical office from check-in to check-out.
- 15 unique cases are each designed to highlight a combination of medical assisting competencies as defined by CAAHEP and ABHES as well as set up specific exercises that will expose users to different payers, different billing situations, and common coding errors.
- 5 videos in each case (one at check-in, three in the exam room, and one at check-out) give users ample opportunities to practice and learn how patients are processed through the medical office from check-in to check-out.
- Simple navigation features an interface that has been tested and designed.
- Medical records, office policy manual, fee schedule, and daysheet for each case exposes users to realistic information resources and prepares them to manage data.
- Detailed office tour thoroughly introduces users to working with the VMO software.
- Study guide lessons that correlate reading assignments with patients in the virtual practice engage users at the visual level and enhance the content in the textbook for true retention of material.
- 20-30 minute study guide lessons focus on a few objectives to give users the opportunity to plan study time.
- HIPAA reinforcement is woven through out the policy manual, videos, and contents of each case’s medical record.
- NEW! Updated content reflects changes in the new 5th Edition of Health Insurance Today.
Virtual Medical Office Quick Tour
Virtual Medical Office Detailed Tour
Lesson 1: Medical Law, Liability, and Ethics (Chapter 3)
Lesson 2: The Medical Record (Chapter 3)
Lesson 3: Confidentiality and Privacy (Chapter 3)
Lesson 4: Types of Health Insurance (Chapter 4)
Lesson 5: Introduction to the Universal Claim Form (Chapter 5)
Lesson 6: Completing the CMS-1500 Paper Form (Chapter 5)
Lesson 7: Traditional Fee-for-Service (Indemnity) Insurance (Chapter 6)
Lesson 8: Blue Cross/Blue Shield Claims (Chapter 6)
Lesson 9: Managed Care (Chapter 7)
Lesson 10: Understanding Medicaid (Chapter 8)
Lesson 11: Medicare (Chapter 9)
Lesson 12: TRICARE and CHAMPVA (Chapter 10)
Lesson 13: Workers’ Compensation (Chapter 11)
Lesson 14: Diagnostic Coding (Chapter 12)
Lesson 15: Procedural Coding (E&M and HCPCS (Chapter 13)
Lesson 16: The Claims Process (Chapter 14)
Lesson 17: Successful Claims Processing (Chapter 15)
Janet I. Beik, AA, BA, MEd, Southeastern Community College (retired), Administrative Instructor, Medical Assistant Program, West Burlington, IA, USA