The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns and Stretching,2nd Edition
Muscolino’ s comprehensive and visually engaging coverage takes an in-depth look at palpation of muscle and bone along with trigger points and their pain referral patterns, stretching, specific muscle treatment, and more. Amazing four-color artwork shows palpation of the muscle with illustrations drawn over full-color photos. New additions such as review questions, "Deeper Thoughts," case studies and an Interactive Muscle Program help you develop integrative clinical-reasoning skills and successfully apply palpation techniques in massage therapy.
- Step-by-step muscle palpation coverage with clear reasoning provided for each step presents content in a way that is easily understood and remembered rather than just memorized.
- Amazing four-color artwork shows palpation of the muscle with muscle and bone illustrations drawn over full-color photos offering you a better sense of exactly how the muscles look and where the muscle is located underneath the skin as it is being palpated.
- UNIQUE! Stretching coverage provides more information on this effective treatment technique and helps you understand the role of stretching in treatment.
- Trigger Points and Referral Patterns illustrations show where trigger points lie on the muscle and where pain radiates when an injury is felt so you can effectively identify trigger points and referral patterns in a clinical setting.
- UNIQUE! Palpation photos help students and practitioners learn to identify muscles when the body is positioned the way they will encounter it in the massage setting.
- Specific massage-related assessment and treatment strokes are shown through illustrations and in the Palpation Notes, moving you from theory and assessment to practical application.
- Bone Palpation coverage teaches you to identify and palpate bones and bony landmarks.
- Chapter overviews and outlines introduce each chapter so you can preview the content and direction of the chapter at the major concept level.
- Measurable chapter objectives at the start of each chapter identify key goals as well as information that should be mastered.
- NEW! Interactive Muscle Program available on Evolve allows you to see muscle attachments and the relationship among the muscles of the region, easing the process and aiding in retention of material.
- NEW! Drawings of therapist-assisted stretches added to the third section of the text supplies you with a comprehensive look at stretching, with both the existing self-stretches and the assisted stretches presented side-by-side.
- NEW! Case studies keep your interest level high with the opportunity for integrative, clinical reasoning.
- NEW! Reformatted Bone Palpation and Ligaments section offers content in a narrative format consistent with the rest of the text for easier navigation.
- NEW! "Deeper Thoughts" questions actively engage and challenge your reasoning skills.
- NEW! Review questions allow you to discuss concepts and synthesize important chapter information.
PART I: ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT TECHNIQUES 1. Introduction to Palpation 2. The Art and Science of Muscle Palpation 3. Draping and Basic Massage Strokes 4. Body Mechanics for the Manual Therapist 5. Anatomy, Physiology, and Treatment of Trigger Points 6. Stretching
PART 2: BONE PALPATION AND LIGAMENTS 7. Upper Extremity Bone Palpation and Ligaments 8. Axial Body Bone Palpation and Ligaments 9. Lower Extremity Bone Palpation and Ligaments
PART 3: MUSCLE PALPATION 10. Tour #1: Palpation of the Muscles of the Shoulder Girdle 11. Tour #2: Palpation of the Neck Muscles 12. Tour #3: Palpation of the Muscles of the Head 13. Tour #4: Palpation of the Muscles of the Arm 14. Tour #5: Palpation of the Muscles of the Forearm 15. Tour #6: Palpation of the Intrinsic Muscles of the Hand 16. Tour #7: Palpation of the Trunk Muscles 17. Tour #8: Palpation of the Pelvic Muscles 18. Tour #9: Palpation of the Thigh Muscles 19. Tour #10: Palpation of the Leg Muscles 20. Tour #11: Palpation of the Intrinsic Muscles of the Foot
Joseph E. Muscolino, DC, Instructor, Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, NY; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, CT