The Human Body in Health and Illness - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Using colorful cartoons, humorous illustrations, and an easy-to-read approach, The Human Body in Health and Illness, 5th Edition makes it fun to learn anatomy & physiology. Step-by-step explanations, clever features, and clinical examples simplify A&P concepts and relate A&P to the real world. Organized by body system, this book shows how each organ is structurally designed to perform specific physiological tasks while demonstrating what happens to the body when a system does not function properly. Written by well-known author and educator Barbara Herlihy, The Human Body in Health and Illness makes A&P concepts easy to understand even if you have a limited background in the sciences.
- Full-color illustrations simplify difficult concepts and complex processes.
- Colorful cartoons use humor to clarify and reinforce the content, making it more memorable, accessible, and reader-friendly.
- Interesting analogies and examples make learning easier, especially if you’re studying A&P for the first time.
- Key terms and objectives are listed at the beginning of every chapter, setting learning expectations and goals, with terms defined in a comprehensive glossary.
- Did You Know boxes include brief vignettes describing clinical scenarios or historical events related to A&P.
- Review tools include chapter summaries, Review Your Knowledge questions, and Go Figure! questions relating to figures and diagrams.
- UPDATED illustrations and content keep A&P information current and strengthen an already popular textbook.
- UPDATED Medical Terminology and Disorders tables include pronunciations, derivations, and word parts, along with expanded, in-depth descriptions of the most crucial information.
- UPDATED! The Evolve website assets include practice exams, interactive activities and exercises, the Body Spectrum Online Coloring Book, and more!
1. Introduction to the Human Body 2. Basic Chemistry 3. Cells 4. Cell Metabolism 5. Microbiology Basics 6. Tissues and Membranes 7. Integumentary System and Body Temperature 8. Skeletal System 9. Muscular System 10. Nervous System: Nervous Tissue and Brain 11. Nervous System: Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerves 12. Autonomic Nervous System 13. Sensory System 14. Endocrine System 15. Blood 16. Anatomy of the Heart 17. Function of the Heart 18. Anatomy of the Blood Vessels 19. Functions of the Blood Vessels 20. Lymphatic System 21. Immune System 22. Respiratory System 23. Digestive System 24. Urinary System 25. Water, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance 26. Reproductive Systems 27. Human Development and Heredity
Barbara Herlihy, PhD(Physiology), RN, Professor, University of the Incarnate Word, School of Nursing and Health Professions, San Antonio, TX