Medical-Surgical Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Using a unique collaborative care approach to adult health nursing, Medical-Surgical Nursing: Patient-Centered Collaborative Care, 8th Edition covers the essential knowledge you need to succeed at the RN level of practice. Easy-to-read content includes evidence-based treatment guidelines, an enhanced focus on QSEN competencies, and an emphasis on developing clinical judgment skills. This edition continues the book’s trendsetting tradition with increased LGBTQ content and a new Care of Transgender Patients chapter. Written by nursing education experts Donna Ignatavicius and M. Linda Workman, this bestselling text also features NCLEX® Exam-style challenge questions to prepare you for success on the NCLEX Exam. Cutting-edge coverage of the latest trends in nursing practice and nursing education prepares you not just for today’s nursing practice but also for tomorrow’s.
- UNIQUE! A collaborative approach that presents all medical, surgical, nursing, and other interventions through the lens of the nursing process.
- A reader-friendly, direct writing style makes this one of the most readable medical-surgical textbooks on the market.
- Chapter-opening Learning Outcomes are linked to Self-Assessment Questions for the NCLEX Examination on the companion CD and EVOLVE website.
- Unique chapter-ending Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections include Key Points lists organized by NCLEX Client Needs Categories.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes now include highlighted Levels of Evidence to teach you how to appraise the level of validity of research and provide synopses of recent nursing research articles and other scientific articles applicable to nursing.
- Considerations boxes highlight important nursing considerations to help you better understand how to care for older adults, women, and patients from various cultural and genetic backgrounds.
- Streamlined Concept Maps now emphasize information on what is critical for you to know for patient rescue by providing the links among pathophysiology, assessment, and intervention.
- UNIQUE! New Human Needs focus and features help you learn to think clinically and be prepared to make sound clinical decisions at the bedside.
- UNIQUE! Seven richly illustrated Human Needs Overviews relate concepts learned in Nursing Fundamentals to disorders that you will study in Medical-Surgical Nursing.
- UNIQUE! Chapter-ending Human Needs Assessment Reviews and Human Needs Nursing Care Reviews demonstrate application of these Fundamentals concepts to specific disorders.
- UNIQUE! New Decision-Making Challenges throughout the book teach you to apply concepts to true-to-life clinical situations.
- UNIQUE! NCLEX Examination Challenge questions throughout the chapters are now organized by NCLEX Client Needs Category and apply chapter content to the categories and subcategories of the NCLEX test plan.
- Increased emphasis on prioritization, delegation to equip you with these increasingly important skills, which continue to be a major focus of the NCLEX Examination.
- Expanded coverage of emergency and disaster preparedness prepares you to deal not only with common environmental emergencies but also with the consequences of bioterrorism and mass-casualty events.
- New Patient Safety icons highlight content reflecting The Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goals initiative and the National Patient Safety Goals.
- Companion CD-ROM features more than 1,000 interactive questions, an audio glossary, 35 animations, more than 40 Health Assessment video clips, 20 audio clips of key heart and lung sounds, and 45 Health Assessment images of key health assessment findings.
UNIT I. FOUNDATIONS FOR MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING
1. Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing
2. Introduction to Complementary and Alternative Therapies
3. Common Health Problems of Older Adults
4. Cultural Aspects of Health and Illness
5. Pain: The Fifth Vital Sign
6. Genetic Concepts for Medical-Surgical Nursing
7. Substance Abuse and Medical-Surgical Nursing
8. Rehabilitation Concepts for Chronic and Disabling Health Problems
9. End-of-Life Care
UNIT II. CONCEPTS OF EMERGENCY CARE AND DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
10. Concepts of Emergency and Trauma Nursing
11. Care of Patients with Common Environmental Emergencies
12. NEW! Concepts of Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
UNIT III. MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH FLUID, ELECTROLYTE, AND ACID-BASE IMBALANCES
13. Assessment and Care of Patients with Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
14. Assessment and Care of Patients with Acid-Base Imbalances
15. Infusion Therapy
UNIT IV. MANAGEMENT OF PERIOPERATIVE PATIENTS
16. Care of Preoperative Patients
17. Care of Intraoperative Patients
18. Care of Postoperative Patients
NEW! HUMAN NEEDS OVERVIEW: PROTECTION
UNIT V. PROBLEMS OF PROTECTION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
19. Inflammation and the Immune Response
20. Care of Patients with Arthritis and Other Connective Tissue Diseases
21. Care of Patients with HIV Disease and Other Immunodeficiencies
22. Care of Patients with Immune Function Excess: Hypersensitivity (Allergy) and Autoimmunity
23. Cancer Development
24. Care of Patients with Cancer
25. EXPANDED! Care of Patients with Infection
UNIT VI. PROBLEMS OF PROTECTION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE SKIN, HAIR, AND NAILS
26. Assessment of the Skin, Hair, and Nails
27. Care of Patients with Skin Problems
28. Care of Patients with Burns
NEW! HUMAN NEEDS OVERVIEW: OXYGENATION AND TISSUE PERFUSION
UNIT VII. PROBLEMS OF OXYGENATION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE RESPIRATORY TRACT
29. Assessment of the Respiratory System
30. Care of Patients Requiring Oxygen Therapy or Tracheostomy
31. Care of Patients with Noninfectious Upper Respiratory Problems
32. Care of Patients with Noninfectious Lower Respiratory Problems
33. Care of Patients with Infectious Respiratory Problems
34. Care of Critically Ill Patients with Respiratory Problems
UNIT VIII. PROBLEMS OF CARDIAC OUTPUT AND TISSUE PERFUSION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
35. Assessment of the Cardiovascular System
36. Care of Patients with Dysrhythmias
37. Care of Patients with Cardiac Problems
38. Care of Patients with Vascular Problems
39. Care of Patients with Shock
40. Care of Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes
UNIT IX. PROBLEMS OF TISSUE PERFUSION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE HEMATOLOGIC SYSTEM
41. Assessment of the Hematologic System
42. Care of Patients with Hematologic Problems
NEW! HUMAN NEEDS OVERVIEW: MOBILITY, SENSATION, AND COGNITION
UNIT X. PROBLEMS OF MOBILITY, SENSATION, AND COGNITION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM
43. Assessment of the Nervous System
44. Care of Patients with Problems of the Central Nervous System: The Brain
45. Care of Patients with Problems of the Central Nervous System: The Spinal Cord
46. Care of Patients with Problems of the Peripheral Nervous System
47. Care of Critically Ill Patients with Neurologic Problems
UNIT XI. PROBLEMS OF SENSATION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE SENSORY SYSTEM
48. Assessment of the Eye and Vision
49. Care of Patients with Eye and Vision Problems
50. Assessment of the Ear and Hearing
51. Care of Patients with Ear and Hearing Problems
UNIT XII. PROBLEMS OF MOBILITY: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM
52. Assessment of the Musculoskeletal System
53. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal Problems
54. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal Trauma
NEW! HUMAN NEEDS OVERVIEW: NUTRITION, BOWEL ELIMINATION, AND METABOLISM
UNIT XIII. PROBLEMS OF DIGESTION, NUTRITION, AND ELIMINATION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE GASTROINTESTINAL SYSTEM
55. Assessment of the Gastrointestinal System
56. Care of Patients with Oral Cavity Problems
57. Care of Patients with Esophageal Problems
58. Care of Patients with Stomach Disorders
59. Care of Patients with Noninflammatory Intestinal Disorders
60. Care of Patients with Inflammatory Intestinal Disorders
61. Care of Patients with Liver Problems
62. Care of Patients with Problems of the Biliary System and Pancreas
63. Care of Patients with Malnutrition and Obesity
UNIT XIV. PROBLEMS OF REGULATION AND METABOLISM: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM
64. Assessment of the Endocrine System
65. Care of Patients with Pituitary and Adrenal Gland Problems
66. Care of Patients with Problems of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands
67. Care of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus
NEW! HUMAN NEEDS OVERVIEW: URINARY ELIMINATION
UNIT XV. PROBLEMS OF EXCRETION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE RENAL/URINARY SYSTEM
68. Assessment of the Renal/Urinary System
69. Care of Patients with Urinary Problems
70. Care of Patients with Renal Disorders
71. NEW TITLE! Care of Patients with Acute Renal Failure and Chronic Kidney Disease
NEW! HUMAN NEEDS OVERVIEW: SEXUALITY
UNIT XVI. PROBLEMS OF REPRODUCTION: MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH PROBLEMS OF THE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
72. Assessment of the Reproductive System
73. Care of Patients with Breast Disorders
Donna D. Ignatavicius, MS, RN, CNE, ANEF, Speaker and Curriculum Consultant for Academic Nursing Programs;
Founder, Boot Camp for Nurse Educators;
President, DI Associates, Inc.
Placitas, New Mexico and M. Linda Workman, PhD, RN, FAAN, Formerly, Gertrude Perkins Oliva Professor of Oncology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio