Clinical Companion for Medical-Surgical Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),8th Edition
The easy-to-use Clinical Companion for Ignatavicius and Workman’s Medical-Surgical Nursing: Patient-Centered Collaborative Care, 8th Edition, is an A-Z guide to more than 250 common medical-surgical conditions and their management. Written in a reader-friendly, direct-address style, this resource is a convenient tool that you can carry with you on clinical days. Now organized in a streamlined collaborative care format, complete with new QSEN highlights and a reorganized Concepts in Medical-Surgical Nursing section, it will quickly become your best bedside reference.
- A-Z synopses of more than 250 diseases and disorders, along with related collaborative care, serve as both a quick reference for clinical days and a study resource for diseases/disorders and related collaborative care.
- Consistent collaborative care format mirrors the coverage provided in the Ignatavicius & Workman textbook to more effectively prepare students for clinical days.
- UNIQUE! Nursing Safety Priorities reinforce critical safety measures at the bedside and mirror those in the Ignatavicius & Workman text: Drug Alert, Critical Rescue, and Action Alert.
- Special Considerations highlights call students' attention to important aspects of nursing care, such as Genetic/Genomic Considerations, Considerations for Older Adults, Gender Health Considerations, and Cultural Considerations.
- A Concepts of Medical-Surgical Nursing section (Part One) includes a NEW! concept on fluid and electrolyte balance, reflects the emphasis on concepts from Giddens’ Concepts of Nursing Practice, and provides students with an understanding of essential concepts needed for effective nursing practice.
- A-Z printed thumb tabs appear along the edges of the pages to facilitate quick access to clinical information for just-in-time learning and reference at the bedside.
- 8 quick-reference appendices provide need-to-know, quick-reference coverage of common and some less typical clinical topics.
- NEW! Updated content matches the 8th edition of the Ignatavicius & Workman textbook for a reliably seamless reference and study experience.
- NEW! Streamlined collaborative care format helps you focus more effectively on nursing care priorities.
- NEW! QSEN highlights each focus on one or more of the six core QSEN competencies (Patient-Centered Care, Teamwork & Collaboration, Evidence-Based Practice, Quality Improvement, Safety, and Informatics) to help you understand how to apply QSEN competencies for safe patient care.
PART ONE: CONCEPTS OF MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING Cancer Pathophysiology Cancer Treatment Cellular Regulation Fluid and Electrolyte Balance Infection Inflammation Pain Palliation and End-of-Life Care Perioperative Care Planning for Discharge
PART TWO: DISEASES AND DISORDERS Alphabetical entries for more than 250 common medical-surgical conditions
APPENDIXES 1. Guide to Head-To-Toe Physical Assessment of Adults 2. Interventions for Common Environmental Emergencies 3. Chemical and Biological Agents of Terrorism 4. Terminology Associated with Fluid and Electrolyte Balance 5. Electrocardiographic Complexes, Segments, and Intervals 6. The Patient Requiring Intubation and Mechanical Ventilation 7. The Patient Requiring Chest Tubes 8. Communication Quick Reference for Spanish-Speaking Patients
Donna D. Ignatavicius, MS, RN, CNE, ANEF, Speaker and Curriculum Consultant for Academic Nursing Programs;
Founder, Boot Camp for Nurse Educators;
President, DI Associates, Inc.
Placitas, New Mexico, M. Linda Workman, PhD, RN, FAAN, Formerly, Gertrude Perkins Oliva Professor of Oncology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio and Chris Winkelman, RN, PhD, CCRN, ACNP, Assistant Professor, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University;
Clinical Nurse, Trauma/Critical Care Float Pool, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio