Linne & Ringsrud's Clinical Laboratory Science - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,7th Edition
Using a discipline-by-discipline approach, Linne & Ringsrud's Clinical Laboratory Science: Concepts, Procedures, and Clinical Applications, 7th Edition provides a fundamental overview of the skills and techniques you need to work in a clinical laboratory and perform routine clinical lab tests. Coverage of basic laboratory techniques includes key topics such as safety, measurement techniques, and quality assessment. Clear, straightforward instructions simplify lab procedures, and are described in the CLSI (Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute) format. Written by well-known CLS educator Mary Louise Turgeon, this text includes perforated pages so you can easily detach procedure sheets and use them as a reference in the lab!
- Hands-on procedures guide you through the exact steps you'll perform in the lab.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your understanding and identify areas requiring additional study.
- A broad scope makes this text an ideal introduction to clinical laboratory science at various levels, including CLS/MT, CLT/MLT, and Medical Assisting, and reflects the taxonomy levels of the CLS/MT and CLT/MLT exams.
- Detailed full-color illustrations show what you will see under the microscope.
- An Evolve companion website provides convenient online access to all of the procedures in the text, a glossary, audio glossary, and links to additional information.
- Case studies include critical thinking and multiple-choice questions, providing the opportunity to apply content to real-life scenarios.
- Learning objectives help you study more effectively and provide measurable outcomes to achieve by completing the material.
- Streamlined approach makes it easier to learn the most essential information on individual disciplines in clinical lab science.
- Experienced author, speaker, and educator Mary Lou Turgeon is well known for providing insight into the rapidly changing field of clinical laboratory science.
- Convenient glossary makes it easy to look up definitions without having to search through each chapter.
- NEW! Procedure worksheets have been added to most chapters; perforated pages make it easy for students to remove for use in the lab and for assignment of review questions as homework.
- NEW! Instrumentation updates show new technology being used in the lab.
- NEW! Additional key terms in each chapter cover need-to-know terminology.
- NEW! Additional tables and figures in each chapter clarify clinical lab science concepts.
PART I: Basic Laboratory Techniques 1. Fundamentals of the Clinical Laboratory 2. Safety in the Clinical Laboratory 3. Quality Assessment and Quality Control in the Clinical Laboratory 4. Phlebotomy: Collecting and Processing Blood 5. The Microscope 6. Systems of Measurement, Laboratory Equipment, and Reagents 7. Laboratory Mathematics and Solution Preparation 8. Basic and New Techniques in the Clinical Laboratory 9. Delivery of Laboratory Testing: From Point-of-Care Testing to Total Automation
PART II: Clinical Laboratory Specializations 10. Introduction to Clinical Chemistry 11. Principles and Practice of Clinical Hematology 12. Introduction to Hemostasis 13. Renal Physiology and Urinalysis 14. Examination of Body Fluids and Miscellaneous Specimens 15. Introduction to Microbiology 16. Immunology and Serology 17. Immunohematology and Transfusion Medicine Appendix A: Prefixes, Suffixes, and Stem Words Appendix B: Abbreviations Appendix C: Quick Reference Values Appendix D: Answers to End of Chapter Review Questions and Case Studies Questions Glossary
Mary Louise Turgeon, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM, Clinical Laboratory Education Consultant, Mary L. Turgeon & Associates, Boston, MA, and St. Petersburg, FL; Clinical Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Medicine, Tufts University, Boston, MA; Adjunct Professor, Northeastern University, College of Professional Studies, Boston, MA; Professor, South University, Physician Assistant Program, Tampa, FL