Foundations of Maternal-Newborn & Women's Health Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Known for its user-friendly, easy-to-understand coverage of complex concepts, this outstanding textbook provides all the information you need to provide competent nursing care to women and newborns. Step-by-step instructions for assessments and interventions help you quickly master key skills and techniques. The importance of understanding family, culture, client teaching, communication, and clinical decision making is emphasized throughout. This edition also features a new title that reflects its expanded coverage of women’s health issues.
- More than 30 Nursing Care Plans with critical thinking questions help you to apply the nursing process to clinical situations and provide models for effective client and family care.
- UNIQUE! Communication Cues provide guidance for interpreting client and family statements and behaviors.
- UNIQUE! Therapeutic Communication boxes illustrate actual client and family dialogues that can be used in clinical practice.
- Procedures provide clear instructions for performing common maternity skills and procedures, with rationales for each step.
- Critical Thinking Exercises present realistic clinical situations and challenge you to prioritize and think critically.
- Check Your Reading questions at the end of each section help you assess your mastery of key content.
- Drug Guides outline important indications, adverse reactions, and nursing considerations for the most commonly used medications.
- UNIQUE! Want to Know Boxes offer extensive client education guidelines for maternity and women’s health settings.
- A new chapter on Preventive Care for Women emphasizes health promotion and health maintenance throughout the childbearing years and beyond, including the latest health screening recommendations.
- Evidence-based practice boxes reinforce the importance of integrating research-based practice guidelines into practice.
- Updated coverage includes current research on hot topics in today’s practice, including elective inductions, cesarean deliveries, and the late preterm infant.
- Integrated electronic features enhance learning with interactive multimedia content such as video clips and animations.
Part I: Foundations for Nursing Care of Childbearing Families
- Maternity and Women’s Health Care Today
- The Nurse’s Role in Maternity and Women’s Health Care
- Ethical, Social, and Legal Issues
- Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
- Hereditary and Environmental Influences on Childbearing
- Conception and Prenatal Development
- Physiologic Adaptations to Pregnancy
- Psychosocial Adaptations to Pregnancy
- Nutrition for Childbearing
- Antepartal Fetal Assessment
- Perinatal Education
- Processes of Birth
- Nursing Care During Labor and Birth
- Intrapartum Fetal Surveillance
- Pain Management During Childbirth
- Nursing Care During Obstetric Procedures
- Postpartum Physiologic Adaptations
- Postpartum Psychosocial Adaptations
- Normal Newborn: Processes of Adaptation
- Assessment of the Normal Newborn
- Care of the Normal Newborn
- Infant Feeding
- Home Care of the Infant
- The Childbearing Family with Special Needs
- Complications of Pregnancy
- Concurrent Disorders During Pregnancy
- Intrapartum Complications
- Postpartum Maternal Complications
- High-Risk Newborn: Complications Associated with Gestational Age and Development
- High-Risk Newborn: Acquired and Congenital Conditions
- Family Planning
- Preventive Care for Women
- Women’s Health Problems
Part II: The Family Before Birth
Part III: The Family During Birth
Part IV: The Family Following Birth
Part V: Families at Risk during the Childbearing Period
Part VI: Women’s Health Care
Sharon Smith Murray, MSN, RN, C, Professor Emerita, Health Professions, Golden West College, Huntington Beach, CA and Emily Slone McKinney, MSN, RN, C, Baylor Healthcare System, Dallas, TX