Foundations and Adult Health Nursing - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study, 7th Edition
An all-inclusive guide to fundamentals and medical-surgical nursing for the LPN/LVN, Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 7th Edition covers the skills you need for clinical practice, from anatomy and physiology to nursing interventions and maternity, neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, and community health care. Guidelines for patient care are presented within the framework of the five-step nursing process; Nursing Care Plans are described within a case-study format to help you develop skills in clinical decision-making. Written by Kim Cooper and Kelly Gosnell, this text includes all of the content from their Foundations of Nursing and Adult Health Nursing books, including review questions to help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN® examination!
- Full-color, step-by-step instructions for over 100 skills show nursing techniques and procedures along with rationales for each.
- The 5-step Nursing Process connects specific disorders to patient care — with a summary at the end of each chapter.
- Nursing Care Plans emphasize patient goals and outcomes within a case-study format, and promotes clinical decision-making with critical thinking questions at the end of each care plan.
- Clear coverage of essential A&P is provided by an Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter along with an overview of A&P in all body systems chapters.
- Student-friendly features enhance the learning of nursing skills with summary boxes for Patient Teaching, Health Promotion Considerations, Complementary and Alternative Therapy, Cultural Considerations, Older Adult Considerations, Home Care Considerations, Safety Alert, and Prioritization, Assignment, and Supervision.
- UNIQUE! Mathematics review in Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration chapter covers basic arithmetic skills prior to the discussion of medication administration.
- A focus on preparing for the NCLEX examination includes review questions and Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections with key points organized by NCLEX Client Needs Categories.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes provide synopses of nursing research articles and other scientific articles applicable to nursing, along with nursing implications for the LPN/LVN.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes summarize nursing diagnoses for specific disorders along with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- UNIQUE! Delegation Considerations boxes provide parameters for delegation to nurse assistants, patient care technicians, and unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Medication Therapy tables provide quick access to actions, dosages, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- NEW! Reorganized chapters make it easier to follow and understand the material.
- NEW! Icons in page margins indicate videos, audios, and animations on the Evolve companion website that may be accessed for enhanced learning.
- UDATED illustrations include photographs of common nursing skills.
Unit I: Fundamentals of Nursing 1. Evolution of Nursing 2. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing 3. Documentation 4. Communication 5. Nursing Process and Critical Thinking 6. Cultural and Ethnic Considerations
Unit II: Fundamentals of Clinical Practice 7. Asepsis and Infection Control 8. Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility 9. Hygiene and Care of the Patient’s Environment 10. Safety
Unit III: Introduction to Nursing Interventions 11. Vital Signs 12. Physical Assessment 13. Admission, Transfer, and Discharge 14. Surgical Wound Care 15. Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Testing 16. Care of Patients Experiencing Urgent Alterations in Health 17. Complementary and Alternative Therapies 18. Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep 19. Nutritional Concepts and Related Therapies 20. Fluids and Electrolytes 21. Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration 22. Care of Patients with Alterations in Health
Unit IV: Nursing Care Across the Lifespan 23. Lifespan Development 24. Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death 25. Health Promotion and Pregnancy 26. Labor and Delivery 27. Care of the Mother and Newborn 28. Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs 29. Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent 30. Basic Pediatric Nursing Care 31. Care of the Child with a Physical and Mental or Cognitive Disorder 32. Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult
Unit V: Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing 33. Concepts of Mental Health 34. Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder 35. Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality
Unit VI: Fundamentals of Community Health Nursing 36. Home Health Nursing 37. Long-Term Care 38. Rehabilitation Nursing 39. Hospice Care
Unit VII: Adult Health Nursing 40. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 41. Care of the Surgical Patient 42. Care of the Patient with an Integumentary Disorder 43. Care of the Patient with a Musculoskeletal Disorder 44. Care of the Patient with a Gastrointestinal Disorder 45. Care of the Patient with a Gallbladder, Liver, Biliary Tract, or Exocrine Pancreatic Disorder 46. Care of the Patient with a Blood or Lymphatic Disorder 47. Care of the Patient with a Cardiovascular or a Peripheral Vascular Disorder 48. Care of the Patient with a Respiratory Disorder 49. Care of the Patient with a Urinary Disorder 50. Care of the Patient with an Endocrine Disorder 51. Care of the Patient with a Reproductive Disorder 52. Care of the Patient with a Visual or Auditory Disorder 53. Care of the Patient with a Neurological Disorder 54. Care of the Patient with an Immune Disorder 55. Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS 56. Care of the Patient with Cancer
Unit VIII: From Graduate to Professional 57. Professional Roles and Leadership Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Appendix B: Laboratory Reference Values Appendix C: Answers to Review Questions for the NCLEX® Examination
Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, IN and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing
Ivy Tech Community College
Terre Haute, Indiana