Massage Therapy, 5th Edition
Covering massage fundamentals, techniques, and anatomy and physiology, Susan Salvo’s Massage Therapy: Principles and Practice, 5th Edition brings a whole new meaning to the word ‘comprehensive.’ This student-friendly text boasts more than 700 illustrations and expanded sections on neuroscience, research, and special populations, plus new line drawings in the kinesiology chapter of origins and insertions that match the painted skeletons found in most classrooms. It makes the essential principles of massage therapy more approachable and prepares you for success in class, on licensing and board certification exams, and in a wide range of therapeutic practice settings.
- Clear, straightforward approach simplifies complex content for easier understanding.
- Complete anatomy and physiology section, in addition to material on techniques and foundations, gives you all the information you need in just one book.
- Certification Practice Exam on Evolve mimics the major certification exams in format and content, builds confidence, and helps increase pass rates.
- Over 700 high-quality illustrations, including line drawings and halftones, clarify difficult concepts in vibrant detail.
- Case studies challenge you to think critically and apply your understanding to realistic scenarios, foster open-mindedness, and stimulate dialogue.
- Profile boxes provide an inspirational, real-world perspective on massage practice from some of the most respected authorities in massage and bodywork.
- Clinical Massage chapter focuses on massage in clinical settings like hospitals, nursing homes, and medical offices to broaden your career potential.
- Two business chapters loaded with skills to make you more marketable and better prepared for today's competitive job market.
- Video icons refer you to the Evolve site featuring about 120 minutes of video covering techniques, routines, client interaction sequences, and case studies that facilitate the learning process and the practical application of the material.
- Evolve icons listed in each chapter encourage you to go beyond the lecture and reading assignments and learn more on the Evolve site.
- Evolve boxes at the end of each chapter list Chapter Extras found on Evolve that reinforce concepts learned in the chapter.
- NEW! Revised line drawing color scheme for origin and insertion matches the painted skeleton found in most classrooms, maintains consistency, and prevents confusion in learning origin and insertion points on the body.
- NEW! Coverage of Thai massage provides up-to-date content on the most useful, in-demand modalities that are most often requested by clients – and better prepares you for what you will encounter during training and practice.
- NEW! Updated text reflects changes to the new board certification exam so you have the most up-to-date, relevant information - and are fully prepared to pass the current exams.
- NEW! Brand new Think About It, Webquest, and Discussion features in each chapter’s Test Your Knowledge section build your vocabulary usage and critical thinking skills necessary for day-to-day work with clients.
- EXPANDED! More content on pain theories, the neuromatrix model, and pain management, plus updated guidelines for massage after surgery and injury, equips you with essential information when working in rehab.
- NEW! Updated instructor resources, featuring more TEACH lesson plan classroom activities and an additional 500 test questions, provide instructors with more ways to interact with and test students.
Unit 1: Foundations for Practice, Basic and Complementary Methods, and Business Practices
1. History of Massage (Til Luchau and Susan Salvo)
2. Therapeutic Relationships (Megan Lavery and Susan Salvo)
3. Tools of the Trade
4. Self-Care: Health, Wellness, Nutrition, and Stress Reduction
5. Research Literacy (JoEllen Sefton)
6. Effects of Massage Therapy (JoEllen Sefton)
7. Body Mechanics, Client Positioning, and Draping
8. Massage Techniques, Joint Mobilizations, and Stretches
9. Infection Control and Emergency Preparedness
10. Treatment Planning: Intake, Assessment, and Documentation
11. Special Populations and Pregnancy
12. Hydrotherapy and Spa
13. Foot Reflexology
14. Clinical Massage (Susan Salvo, Judith Delany, Alice Sanvito)
15. Seated Massage (Ralph R. Stephens)
16. Energy-Based Bodywork Therapy: Shiatsu and Ayurveda (Richard Gold)
17. Business, Marketing, Accounting, and Finance
Unit 2: Anatomy and Physiology
18. Introduction to the Human Body: Cells, Tissues, and the Body Compass
19. Skeletal System
20. Muscular System
22. Integumentary System
23. Nervous System
24. Endocrine System
25. Reproductive System
26. Cardiovascular System
27. Lymphatic System and Immunity
28. Respiratory System
29. Digestive System
30. Urinary System
Appendix: SOAP Notes
Susan G. Salvo, D.Ed., LMT, NTS, CI, BCTMB, Co-Owner, Co-Director, and Instructor, Louisiana Institute of Massage Therapy, Lake Charles, LA; Veteran Massage Therapist, Lake Charles, LA