Calculate with Confidence - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
This popular text covers the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods offering a step-by-step approach to the calculation and administration of drug dosages. With over 2,000 practice problems, Gray Morris focuses on enhancing the learning experience of nursing students at all curricular levels by making content clinically applicable. Calculate with Confidence, 6th Edition addresses the increasing responsibility of the nurse in medication administration, prioritizes client safety, and reflects the current scope of practice.
- A clear and consistent, step-by-step approach to calculations and administration makes it easy to understand.
- Ratio and Proportion, Formula, and Dimensional Analysis content provides you with well-rounded coverage.
- Pretest and post-test help identify strengths and weaknesses in competency of basic math before and assess your comprehension after Unit One: Math Review.
- Points to Remember boxes highlighted in each chapter help you remember important concepts.
- Critical thinking information that should be applied in the clinical setting to help avoid drug calculation and administration errors is boxed throughout the text.
- Full-color illustrations, photographs, and drug labels familiarize you with what you'll encounter in the clinical setting.
- Current recommendations from The Joint Commission and Institute for Safe Medication Practices are followed throughout.
- Caution boxes identify issues that may lead to medication errors and strengthen actions that must be taken to avoid calculation errors.
- Tips for Clinical Practice calls attention to information critical to math calculation and patient safety as well as issues related to practice.
- Rule boxes familiarize students with information needed to accurately solve drug calculation problems.
Unit One: Math Review Pre-Test 1. Roman Numerals 2. Fractions 3. Decimals 4. Ratio and Proportion 5. Percentages Post-Test
Unit Two: Systems of Measurement 6. Metric System 7. Apothecary and Household Systems 8. Converting Within and Between Systems 9. Additional Conversions Useful in the Health Care Setting
Unit Three: Methods of Administration and Calculation 10. Medication Administration 11. Understanding and Interpreting Medication Orders 12. Medication Administration Records and Drug Distribution Systems 13. Reading Medication Labels 14. Dosage Calculation Using the Ratio and Proportion Method 15. Dosage Calculation Using the Formula Method 16. Dosage Calculation Using the Dimensional Analysis Method
Unit Four: Oral and Parenteral Dosage Forms and Insulin 17. Calculation of Oral Medications 18. Parenteral Medications 19. Reconstitution of Solutions 20. Insulin
Unit Five: Intravenous, Heparin, and Critical Care Calculations and Pediatric Dosage Calculations 21. Intravenous Solutions and Equipment 22. Intravenous Calculations 23. Heparin Calculations 24. Critical Care Calculations 25. Pediatric and Adult Dosage Calculation Based on Weight
Deborah C. Gray Morris, RN, BSN, MA, LNC, Professor of Nursing, Department of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Bronx Community College, Bronx, NY