Study Guide for Medical-Surgical Nursing,3rd Edition
Take your studying to another level with this trusted medical-surgical nursing learning tool! The Study Guide for Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts & Practice, 3rd Edition reinforces your mastery of the terms and concepts from deWit’s text and provides you with practice for the Boards. It includes updated exercises and creative activities that help you set priorities, apply the nursing process, and think critically — and a unique Steps Toward Better Communication section in each chapter that improves your communication and vocabulary skills.
- UNIQUE! Steps Toward Better Communication sections include a vocabulary-building glossary, completion tasks, pronunciation and grammar exercises, and communication exercises.
- UNIQUE! To the Student preface offers study hints for all students and additional tips for students with limited English proficiency.
- Review Questions for the NCLEX-PN® Examination, which include alternate-item format questions, test your knowledge of chapter content while providing valuable practice for the Boards.
- Critical Thinking activities based on concepts in the textbook encourage you to apply what you have learned and draw conclusions.
- Setting Priorities questions ask you to rank tasks in order of importance.
- Cultural Points explore how the health care field varies in different countries, and how culture affects healthcare in our own country, to give you a broader perspective of nursing care outside your own comfort zone.
- Clinical Situations applied to sample practice situations stimulate critical thinking and practical application of nursing concepts.
- Meeting Clinical Objectives activities help you meet stated clinical practice objectives of the corresponding chapter.
- Grammar Points exercises give you a refresher on common grammatical errors made in the nursing field.
- Word Attack Skills provide focused concentration on some of the more important or confusing terms in the curriculum.
- Review of structure and function of the human body refreshes you on content learned in previous classes and how it applies to this curriculum.
- Completion exercises with key terms reinforce nursing vocabulary.
- Short answer, identification, multiple choice, and matching questions use multiple formats to test your knowledge of concepts conveyed in the text.
- Application of the Nursing Process questions reinforce the different stages of the nursing process.
- Answer key for all activities and questions is provided to instructors to distribute to students at their discretion.
- NEW! Updated exercises reflect the most current textbook content.
Unit 1: Medical-Surgical Nursing Settings, Roles, and Issues
1. Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients
2. Critical Thinking and Nursing Process
Unit 2: Medical-Surgical Patient Care Problems
3. Fluids, Electrolytes, Acid-Base Balance, and Intravenous Therapy
4. Care of Preoperative and Intraoperative Surgical Patients
5. Care of Postoperative Surgical Patients
6. Infection Prevention and Control
7. Care of Patients with Pain
8. Care of Patients with Cancer
9. Chronic Illness and Rehabilitation
Unit 3: Immune System
10. The Immune and Lymphatic Systems
11. Care of Patients with Immune and Lymphatic Disorders and HIV/AIDS
Unit 4: Respiratory System
12. The Respiratory System
13. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Respiratory System
14. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Respiratory System
Unit 5: Hematologic System
15. The Hematologic System
16. Care of Patients with Hematologic Disorders
Unit 6: Cardiovascular System
17. The Cardiovascular System
18. Care of Patients with Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease
19. Care of Patients with Cardiac Disorders
20. Care of Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiac Surgery
Unit 7: Neurologic System
21. The Neurologic System
22. Care of Patients with Head and Spinal Cord Injuries
23. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Brain
24. Care of Patients with Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
Unit 8: Sensory System
25. The Sensory System: Eye and Ear
26. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Eyes and Ears
Unit 9: Gastrointestinal System
27. The Gastrointestinal System
28. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal System
29. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Gastrointestinal System
30. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Gallbladder, Liver, and Pancreas
Unit 10: Musculoskeletal System
31. The Musculoskeletal System
32. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders
Unit 11: Urinary System
33. The Urinary System
34. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Urinary System
Unit 12: Endocrine System
35. The Endocrine System
36. Care of Patients with Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Disorders
37. Care of Patients with Diabetes and Hypoglycemia
Unit 13: Reproductive System
38. Care of Women with Reproductive Disorders
39. Care of Men with Reproductive Disorders
40. Care of Patients with Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit 14: Integumentary System
41. The Integumentary System
42. Care of Patients with Integumentary Disorders and Burns
Unit 15: Emergency and Disaster Management
43. Care of Patients in Disasters or Bioterrorism Attack
44. Care of Patients with Trauma or Shock
Unit 16: Mental Health Nursing of the Adult
45. Care of Patients with Anxiety, Mood, and Eating Disorders
46. Care of Patients with Substance Abuse Disorders
47. Care of Patients with Cognitive Disorders
48. Care of Patients with Thought and Personality Disorders
Susan C. deWit, MSN, RN, CNS, PHN, Formerly, Instructor of Nursing, El Centro College, Dallas, TX; and Allan Hancock College, Santa Maria, CA, Holly Stromberg and Carol Dallred