- Comprehensive coverage of all body systems and body fluids — and the pathological changes associated with various infectious agents — emphasizes areas in which the application of cytology has the greatest diagnostic value.
- Exceptional-quality, full-color photomicrographs show both normal and abnormal tissue and also include detailed legends.
- Discussions of clinical, differential, and cytological diagnosis accompany the illustrations of lesions and conditions in each chapter.
- Helpful hints for improving specimen quality are provided in discussions of common errors and problems encountered in the preparation of cytological specimens.
- Coverage of histology in organ system chapters demonstrates the histological or histopathologic corollary of cytologic findings.
- Clear, concise descriptions include sampling techniques, slide preparation and examination, and guidelines for interpretation, leading to accurate in-house and commercial laboratory diagnosis.
- Easy-to-use, well-organized format includes many tables, algorithms, boxes, and Key Point callouts for at-a-glance reference.
- NEW examples and identifiers and a new discussion on artifacts address the latest developments in canine and feline cytology.
- NEW! Dozens of new images include photomicrographs of blood and bone marrow cytology.
- NEW! All-new appendix summarizes clinically relevant information on artifacts, special tests, specific characteristics, and much more.
- UPDATED sampling techniques and examination guidelines include information on how and where to test for specific conditions.
1. The Acquisition and Management of Cytology Specimens
2. General Categories of Cytologic Interpretation
3. Skin and Subcutaneous Tissues
4. Lymphoid System
5. Respiratory Tract
6. Body Cavity Fluids
7. Oral Cavity, Gastrointestinal Tract, and Associated Structures
8. Dry-Mount Fecal Cytology
9. The Liver
10. Urinary Tract
11. Microscopic Examination of the Urinary Sediment
12. Reproductive System
13. Musculoskeletal System
14. The Central Nervous System
15. Eye and Adnexa
16. Endocrine System
17. Advanced Diagnostic Techniques
Appendix: Reference Values and Key Characteristics