Introduction to Neurogenic Communication Disorders- Pageburst E-Book on Kno (Retail Access Card),7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study - Access Card
Page Count: 784
List Price: $99.95
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
This popular, well-respected textbook provides the most comprehensive and cutting-edge information on the foundations, diagnosis, assessment, management, and treatment of patients with neurogenic communication disorders. Still the only text on the market that surveys the entire range of disorders in a single volume, this new edition is completely up to date with the most current research and developments in the field. New coverage includes three new assessment chapters and new discussions of hot topics such as the functional, environmental, and social elements of communication. The book is supplemented throughout with engaging artwork, clinical tips, and practical advice featuring many examples from clinical settings.
- Colored boxes offer related facts and tips interspersed throughout the text to provide clinically relevant insights and enhance discussions.
- Thought Questions pose analysis querries and scenarios at the conclusion of each chapter that challenge you to assess your understanding, think critically, and apply the information to realistic clinical situations. Suggested answers are supplied in an appendix.
- Sections of bulleted General Concepts points appear at intervals throughout each chapter, summarizing critical content and serving as "chapter checkpoints" to ensure you've understood what you've read.
- Brief clinical vignettes and practice notes from the author's years of experience in speech-language pathology illustrate practical applications of concepts for evaluation and treatment.
- Nearly 300 images help improve your understanding of the material - anatomic illustrations with color highlights, examples of radiological evaluations, examples of various assessment tests, sample paperwork, and forms that can be used in hospital internships and in practice.
- A true scientific, evidence-based rationale underlies discussions regarding the effectiveness of treatment approaches, reinforcing the use of evidence-based practice.
- Information is presented in a two-color design that visually differentiates learning features and draws you into content discussions.
- The book's clear, concise, straightforward writing style makes complex subject matter easy to grasp.
- Appendices provide excellent learning tools and sources for further study, including answers to Thought Questions, a glossary, a listing of common medical abbreviations, and a bibliography of all chapter references.
- Three new chapters address assessment of 1) cognition, 2) language and communication, and 3) functional communication and quality of life, providing additional insight on the varied and complex methods clinicians use to evaluate individuals with brain injuries.
- Discussions of hot topics include the functional, environmental, and social elements of communication, the World Health Organization's focus on functional quality of life, and evidence-based practice as it applies to the effectiveness of various treatment approaches.
- A four-page mini-atlas of neuroanatomy contains full-color cadaver photographs that illustrate the nervous system areas affected in individuals with neurogenic communication disorders.
- Page number references added to the chapter outlines quickly direct you to specific discussions and coverage of key topics in each chapter.
- An accompanying Evolve® website includes an electronic version of the bibliography for fast and easy reference to research materials, as well as instructor-only resources featuring an image collection, neuroanatomic animations, and a test bank with 500 questions.
1. Neuroanatomy and Neuropathology
2. Neurologic Assessment
3. Assessing Adults Who Have Neurogenic Cognitive-Communicative Impairments
4. Assessing Cognition
5. Assessing Language
6. Assessing Functional Communication and Quality of Life
7. The Context for Treatment of Cognitive-Communicative Disorders
8. Neuroanatomic Explanations of Aphasia and Related Disorders
9. Treatment of Aphasia and Related Disorders
10. Right Hemisphere Syndrome
11. Traumatic Brain Injury
13. Motor Speech Disorders
APPENDIX: Standard Medical Abbreviations
ANSWERS TO THOUGHT QUESTIONS
Robert H. Brookshire, PhD, CCC/SP, Professor Emeritus, Department of Communication Disorders, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA