Veterinary Instruments and Equipment, 3rd Edition
Use this pocket guide to learn veterinary instruments and equipment at a glance! Veterinary Instruments and Equipment, Third Edition shows hundreds of detailed, full-color photographs of instruments and describes how and when each is used. A flashcard-style format makes it easy to flip through the pages, so you will quickly become familiar with commonly used equipment. An Evolve companion website includes instrument photographs that may be rotated 360 degrees so that you can zoom in to see close-ups of the different tips. With this knowledge, you’ll prove a valuable member of the clinical team!
- 400 high-quality color photographs help you quickly become familiar with instruments.
- A flip book, flashcard format makes it easy to learn veterinary instruments and equipment.
- Coverage of surgical instruments includes general instruments such as hemostats, forceps, and scissors, and describes orthopedic, ophthalmic, and dental instruments used in veterinary specialty surgeries.
- Coverage of restraint equipment includes proper restraint techniques for all species of large and small animals.
- Instruments and equipment shown for common procedures for small and large animals, including bovine, equine, sheep, pigs, and goats, and include procedures such as dehorning, hoof care, castration, and teat and obstetrical procedures.
- An Evolve companion website includes all of the photos from the book plus images of 30 instruments in a zoom-and-rotate format, allowing you to focus in on instrument details including the different tips.
- Two pages are allotted to each instrument, with the top page including a photo and the bottom page including the instrument’s name, functions, and characteristics.
- Spiral binding allows the book to lay flat or fold over so that only the instrument or description is visible.
- NEW photographs of veterinary instruments, including:
- Bair Hugger warming unit
- Centrifuges: small (urine), medium (blood), and large (fecal)
- Autoclave (steam and gas)
- Surgical table (V table and flat table)
- Microchip implanter
- Anal gland excision kit
- UPDATED photographs provide improved resolution of images.
Part 1: General Medical Instruments and Restraint Equipment
1. Instruments for the Administration of Medicine
2. Diagnostic Instruments
3. Instruments for Small Animals
4. Instruments for the Identification of Animals
5. Instruments Used for Bovines
6. Instruments for Dehorning Animals
7. Tubes and Intravenous and Urinary Catheters
8. Instruments for Castration of Large Animals
9. Obstetrical Instruments for Large Animals
10. Instruments for Hoof Care
11. Instruments Used in Equines
12. Instruments Used for Pigs, Sheep, and Goats
13. Restraint Equipment for Canines and Felines
Part 2: Surgical Instruments
14. Hemostats and Forceps
15. Instruments in Surgical Packs
16. Needle Holders and Scissors
17. Miscellaneous Surgical Instruments and Equipment
18. Retractors and Rib Spreaders
19. Orthopedic Instruments
20. Ophthalmic Instruments
21. Dental Instruments
22. Teat Instruments
23. Care of Instruments
Appendix A: Veterinary Equipment and Instruments
Teresa F. Sonsthagen, BS, LVT, Instructor, Veterinary Technology Program, Department of Animal and Range of Sciences; North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND