Leading and Managing in Nursing - Revised Reprint - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Leading and Managing in Nursing, 5th Edition ? Revised Reprint by Patricia Yoder-Wise successfully blends evidence-based guidelines with practical application. This revised reprint has been updated to prepare you for the nursing leadership issues of today and tomorrow, providing just the right amount of information to equip you with the tools you need to succeed on the NCLEX and in practice. Content is organized around the issues that are central to the success of professional nurses in today?s constantly changing healthcare environment, including patient safety, workplace violence, consumer relationships, cultural diversity, resource management, and many more.
".. apt for all nursing students and nurses who are working towards being in charge and management roles." Reviewed by Jane Brown on behalf of Nursing Times, October 2015
- Merges theory, research, and practical application for an innovative approach to nursing leadership and management.
- Practical, evidence-based approach to today’s key issues includes patient safety, workplace violence, team collaboration, delegation, managing quality and risk, staff education, supervision, and managing costs and budgets.
- Easy-to-find boxes, a full-color design, and new photos highlight key information for quick reference and effective study.
- Research and Literature Perspective boxes summarize timely articles of interest, helping you apply current research to evidence-based practice.
- Critical thinking questions in every chapter challenge you to think critically about chapter concepts and apply them to real-life situations.
- Chapter Checklists provide a quick review and study guide to the key ideas in each chapter, theory boxes with pertinent theoretical concepts, a glossary of key terms and definitions, and bulleted lists for applying key content to practice.
- NEW! Three new chapters — Safe Care: The Core of Leading and Managing, Leading Change, and Thriving for the Future — emphasize QSEN competencies and patient safety, and provide new information on strategies for leading change and what the future holds for leaders and managers in the nursing profession.
- UPDATED! Fresh content and updated references are incorporated into many chapters, including Leading, Managing and Following; Selecting, Developing and Evaluating Staff; Strategic Planning, Goal Setting, and Marketing; Building Teams Through Communication and Partnerships; and Conflict: The Cutting Edge of Change.
- Need to Know Now bulleted lists of critical points help you focus on essential research-based information in your transition to the workforce.
- Current research examples in The Evidence boxes at the end of each chapter illustrate how to apply research to practice.
- Revised Challenge and Solutions case scenarios present real-life leadership and management issues you’ll likely face in today’s health care environment.
PART 1: CORE CONCEPTS Overview 1. Leading, Managing, and Following UPDATED! 2. Safe Care: The Core of Leading and Managing NEW! 3. Developing the Role of Leader 4. Developing the Role of Manager Context 5. Legal and Ethical Issues 6. Making Decisions and Solving Problems 7. Healthcare Organizations 8. Understanding and Designing Organizational Structures 9. Cultural Diversity in Health Care 10. Power, Politics, and Influence
PART 2: MANAGING RESOURCES 11. Caring, Communicating, and Managing with Technology 12. Managing Costs and Budgets 13. Care Delivery Strategies 14. Staffing and Scheduling 15. Selecting, Developing, and Evaluating Staff UPDATED!
PART 3: CHANGING THE STATUS QUO 16. Strategic Planning, Goal-Setting, and Marketing UPDATED! 17. Leading Change NEW! 18. Building Teams Through Communication and Partnerships UPDATED! 19. Collective Action 20. Managing Quality and Risk 21. Translating Research into Practice
PART 4: INTERPERSONAL AND PERSONAL SKILLS Interpersonal 22. Consumer Relationships 23. Conflict: The Cutting Edge of Change UPDATED! 24. Managing Personal/Personnel Problems 25. Workplace Violence: Threats from Outside and Within 26. Delegation: An Art of Professional Practice Personal 27. Role Transition 28. Self-Management: Stress and Time 29. Managing your Career Future 30. Thriving for the Future NEW!
Patricia S. Yoder-Wise, RN, EdD, NEA-BC, ANEF, FAAN, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas