Front Office Management for the Veterinary Team - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
A complete guide to veterinary office management, Front Office Management for the Veterinary Team, 2nd Edition focuses on the day-to-day front office skills you need to become a valuable member of the veterinary team. It covers duties ranging from scheduling appointments to billing and accounting, managing inventory and medical records, marketing, using outside diagnostic laboratory services, and communicating effectively and compassionately with clients. This edition includes an updated chapter on pet health insurance and wellness programs as well as updated coverage of office procedures and technology. Step-by-step instructions simplify essential front office tasks!
- Comprehensive coverage of front office skills includes telephone skills, appointment scheduling, admitting and discharging patients, and communicating with clients.
- Coverage of clinical assisting ranges from examinations and history taking for patients to kennels and boarding procedures, as well as radiology and laboratory procedures.
- Veterinary Ethics and Legal Issues chapter helps you protect the practice, and run an office based on ethical principles.
- An Evolve companion website lets you practice front office tasks with exercises in bookkeeping/accounts receivable, appointment management, and charting.
- Downloadable working forms offer practice in completing sample checks, laboratory forms, and incident reports.
- Review questions and suggested activities reinforce important concepts presented in each chapter.
- Information on electronic banking and tax forms ensures that you adhere to the latest financial guidelines.
- Information on security in office communication covers the most current methods of safe, electronic communication.
- Practice Point boxes highlight practical information to remember while on the job.
- UPDATED Pet Health Insurance and Wellness Programs chapter describes how pet insurance and wellness programs may integrated into a successful business.
- UPDATED chapters include the most current information on team management, human resources, marketing, inventory management, and preparing and maintaining a budget.
- UPDATED coverage of technology and procedures includes new computer screen shots, new photos, revised What Would You Do/Not Do boxes addressing real-life situations, and a glossary, helping you make a smooth transition into the workplace.
Part I: Veterinary Practice as a Business 1. Veterinary Health Care Team Members 2. The Receptionist Team 3. Team Leadership (adds NEW information on leadership, empowerment and delegation, communication strategies, and conflict management) 4. Veterinary Ethics and Legal Issues 5. Human Resources (adds NEW information on hiring, employee manuals, job descriptions, code of conduct, payroll, and termination) 6. Stress, Burnout and Compassion Fatigue 7. Practice Design 8. Technology in the Office 9. Outside Diagnostic Laboratory Services 10. Marketing (adds NEW information on social media, e-newsletters, blogs, iPhone search, apps, and marketing programs)
Part II: Client Communications 11. Client Communication and Customer Service 12. Interacting with a Grieving Client
Part III: Veterinary Practice Systems 13. Appointment Management Systems 14. Medical Records Management 15. Inventory Management (adds NEW information on Paretos theory, lead time, turnover rate, reorder quantity, bulk purchase, and benchmarks) 16. Controlled Substances 17. Logs 18. Accounts Receivable 19. Pet Health Insurance and Wellness Programs UPDATED! 20. Finance Management (adds NEW information on service pricing, Bayer veterinary care usage study, and discounting) 21. Safety in the Veterinary Practice 22. Security
Part IV: Clinical Assisting in the Veterinary Practice 23. Clinical Assisting 24. Calculations and Conversions 25. Professional Development
Heather Prendergast, BS, AS, RVT, CVPM, Certified Practice Manager, Jornada Veterinary Clinic, Las Cruces, New Mexico