Gerontologic Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,5th Edition
Gerontologic Nursing, 5th Edition offers comprehensive disorder and wellness coverage to equip you with the essential information you need to provide the best nursing care to older adults. A body-system organization makes information easy to find, and includes discussions on health promotion, psychologic and sociocultural issues, and the common medical-surgical problems associated with aging adults. Written by expert educator and clinician Sue Meiner, EdD, APRN, BC, GNP, this book also emphasizes topics such as nutrition, chronic illness, emergency treatment, patient teaching, home care, and end-of-life care.
- Case Studies specialty boxes provide realistic situations to expand your knowledge and understanding.
- UNIQUE! Nursing care plans supply guidance on selecting appropriate nursing activities and interventions for specific conditions.
- Evidence-Based Practice specialty boxes pull the critical evidence-based information contained in the text into boxes for easy access and identification.
- UNIQUE! Client/Family Teaching specialty boxes emphasize key aspects of practice and teaching for self-care.
- UNIQUE! Home Care specialty boxes highlight tips to promote practical, effective home care for the older adult.
- UNIQUE! Emergency Treatment specialty boxes highlight critical treatment needed in emergency situations.
- UNIQUE! Nutritional Considerations specialty boxes demonstrate special nutritional needs and concerns facing the aging population.
- NEW! Completely revised Pharmacologic Management chapter covering substance abuse.
- NEW! Completely revised Cognitive and Neurologic Function chapter covering mental health.
- NEW! Up-to-date content equips you with the most current information as the basis of the best possible care for problems affecting the older adult population.
- Streamlined focus presents the essential "need to know" information for the most common conditions in older adults in a format that you can easily and quickly grasp.
- UNIQUE! Disorder index on the inside cover supplies a handy reference to guide students to the information they need quickly and easily.
- Complex aspects of aging offers detailed and comprehensive coverage of pain, infection, cancer, chronic illness, loss, death, and dying, and substance abuse.
- Thorough assessment coverage recaps normal, deviations from normal, and abnormal findings of vitals for the older adult for students and practitioners.
PART I: INTRODUCTION TO GERONTOLOGIC NURSING 1. Overview of Gerontologic Nursing 2. Theories of Aging 3. Legal and Ethical Issues 4. Gerontologic Assessment
PART II: INFLUENCES ON HEALTH AND ILLNESS 5. Cultural Influences 6. Family Influences 7. Socioeconomic and Environmental Influences 8. Health Promotion and Illness/Disability Prevention 9. Health Care Delivery Settings and Older Adults
PART III: WELLNESS ISSUES 10. Nutrition 11. Sleep and Activity 12. Safety 13. Sexuality and Aging
PART IV: COMMON PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGIC STRESSORS 14. Pain 15. Infection 16. Chronic Illness and Rehabilitation 17. Cancer 18. Loss and End-of-Life Issues
PART V: DIAGNOSTIC STUDIES AND PHARMACOLOGIC MANAGEMENT 19. Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests 20. Pharmacologic Management
PART VI: NURSING CARE OF PHYSIOLOGIC AND PSYCHOLOGIC DISORDERS 21. Cardiovascular Function 22. Respiratory Function 23. Endocrine Function 24. Gastrointestinal Function 25. Musculoskeletal Function 26. Urinary Function 27. Cognitive and Neurologic Function 28. Integumentary Function 29. Sensory Function
Sue E. Meiner, EdD, APRN, GNP-BC, Nurse Practitioner; President, Consultant on Health Issues Inc.; formerly Assistant Professor of Nursing, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV, USA