With an illustrated, storyboard format for procedures, Phlebotomy: Worktext and Procedures Manual, 4th Edition describes all aspects of phlebotomy, with current coverage of equipment, safety procedures, arterial blood gases, point-of-care testing, and practical phlebotomy skills. Procedures cover core functions and are outlined with step-by-step instructions and new full-color photos. Clinical scenarios, practice tips, and new Avoid That Error features keep the focus on application and practice. Workbook sections provide study questions, and student learning is also enhanced with a mock certification exam, competency checklists, a detachable bookmark that can serve as a tube guide, and a new video collection on the Evolve companion website.
- A detailed, storyboard format outlines common procedures, with steps accompanied by new full-color photos.
- Study and certification exam preparation questions in each chapter help you review and remember the material.
- A mock certification exam in the appendix mirrors the format of the actual phlebotomy certification exam, allowing you to review for the exam with 150 multiple-choice questions.
- Competency Checklists at the end of the book summarize the most critical and important steps in phlebotomy procedures.
- Clinical scenarios and tips encourage you apply your knowledge to real-life challenges in the workplace.
- Student resources on an Evolve companion website include a pre-test, animations, a new procedural video collection, interactive exercises, a mock certification exam, and an audio glossary.
- An anatomy and physiology section offers illustrated, in-depth information on body systems.
- A perforated bookmark on the back cover serves as a quick, portable reminder of which stopper tops to use for various diagnostic tests.
- Flashbacks and Flashforwards provide a cross reference to related information in previous or upcoming chapters.
- NEW video collection on the Evolve companion website demonstrates how critical procedures are performed.
- NEW photos have been added, in addition to new content on professionalism and HIPAA, equipment, and technology.
- NEW! Avoid That Error scenarios help you develop critical thinking skills and provide helpful tips on resolving problematic situations.
Unit 1: Introduction to Phlebotomy 1. Introduction to Phlebotomy 2. Health Care Structure 3. Safety 4. Infection Control
Unit 2: Phlebotomy Basics 5. Medical Terminology 6. Human Anatomy and Physiology 7. Circulatory, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems
Unit 3: Specimen Collection 8. Venipuncture Equipment 9. Routine Venipuncture 10. Dermal Puncture 11. Venipuncture Complications 12. Blood Collection in Special Populations 13. Arterial Blood Collection 14. Special Collections and Procedures 15. Special Nonblood Collection Procedures
Unit 4: Specimen Handling 16. Specimen Transport, Handling, and Processing 17. Point-of-Care Testing
Unit 5: Professional Issues 18. Quality Phlebotomy 19. Legal Issues in Phlebotomy Appendix A: Metric System Measurements Appendix B: Common English-Spanish Phrases for Phlebotomy Appendix C: Competency Checklists Appendix D: Common Abbreviations Appendix E: Mock Certification Exam Appendix F: Answers to Chapter Questions and Mock Certification Exam Glossary
Robin S. Warekois, BS, MT(ASCP), Pathology Outreach & Client Services, VCU Health Systems, Richmond, VA and Richard Robinson, NASW, Sherborn, MA