Health Careers Today, 6th Edition
Find the health career that’s right for you! Health Careers Today, 6th Edition offers a practical overview to help you make an informed decision in choosing a profession. Not only does this book discuss the roles and responsibilities of various occupations, it provides a solid foundation in the skills that each health career requires. Clear explanations of anatomy and physiology provide essential knowledge of the human body and show how A&P applies to different careers. From experienced educator Judith Gerdin, this edition adds three new chapters, and an Evolve companion website includes new health career videos, animations, exercises, and more.
- A clear, easy-to-read approach makes it easy to explore and understand health career options.
- Over 45 health careers are discussed, including the requirements and roles and responsibilities of each.
- Full-color photographs, drawings, and design illustrate concepts, techniques, and equipment.
- Anatomy and Physiology unit covers all of the body systems, and applies A&P to various career settings.
- Skill Activities provide the opportunity to obtain hands-on experience.
- Review questions and critical thinking questions in each chapter allow you to test your understanding of what you’ve learned.
- Brain Bytes reinforce concepts and keep you engaged in the material.
- Health Careers in Practice boxes show working professionals in many health careers, featuring personal stories that you can relate to.
- Objectives and Key Terms at the beginning of each chapter focus on the key information to be learned.
- Chapter summaries make it easy to identify and review key content.
- Updated National Health Care Skills Standards are summarized with the specific number and name of each national standard covered in that chapter, along with page references.
- A glossary includes all key terms and definitions for quick reference.
- Evolve website provides exercises, new career videos, animations, and competency skill sheets for further information, review, and practice.
- A workbook corresponds to the chapters in the textbook, and features learning activities such as vocabulary practice exercises, medical abbreviation practice exercises, coloring/labeling activities, concept application exercises, laboratory exercises, critical thinking exercises, and online activities. Sold separately.
- NEW! Three new chapters on professionalism, medical mathematics, and medical terminology provide a firm foundation in health care basics.
- NEW CPR guidelines meet the 2015 guidelines for performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- NEW! Employment strategies have been added to emphasize the skills necessary for retaining a job.
- NEW! Updated and expanded EHR information reflects the increased role of the electronic health record in health care.
- NEW! Expanded Culture and Health Care chapter prepares you to care for patients from other cultures and to address cultural differences safely and tactfully.
- NEW! Coverage of informatics and technology addresses this growing health care career.
- NEW! Career videos on the Evolve companion website showcase professionals discussing their health care career choices.
Unit I: Career Foundation
1. Health Care of the Past, Present, and Future
2. Interpersonal Dynamics, Systems, and Communications
3. Safety, Health, and Environmental Practices
4. Ethics and Legal Responsibilities
5. Culture and Health Care
6. Employability and Career Development
7. Academic Foundation
8. Wellness, Growth and Development
9. Professionalism NEW!
10. Medical Mathematics NEW!
11. Medical Terminology NEW!
Unit II: Anatomy and Physiology
12. Body Organization
13. Integumentary System
14. Cardiovascular System
15. Circulatory System
16. Respiratory System
17. Skeletal System
18. Muscular System
19. Digestive System
20. Urinary System
21. Endocrine System
22. Nervous System
23. Sensory System
24. Reproductive System
Unit III: Career Pathways
25. Biotechnology Research and Development Careers
26. Clinical Laboratory and Medical Forensics Careers
27. Imaging Careers
28. Emergency Health Careers
29. Information and Administration Careers
30. Environmental Careers
31. Nursing Careers
32. Medical Careers
33. Dental Careers
34. Complementary and Alternative Careers
35. Veterinary Careers
36. Community and Social Careers
37. Mental Health Careers
38. Rehabilitative Careers
Judith Gerdin, BSN, MS, Paradise Valley High School, Phoenix, AZ