The only radiation therapy text written by radiation therapists, Principles and Practice of Radiation Therapy, 4th Edition helps you understand cancer management and improve clinical techniques for delivering doses of radiation. A problem-based approach makes it easy to apply principles to treatment planning and delivery. New to this edition are updates on current equipment, procedures, and treatment planning. Written by radiation therapy experts Charles Washington and Dennis Leaver, this comprehensive text will be useful throughout your radiation therapy courses and beyond.
- Comprehensive coverage of radiation therapy includes a clear introduction and overview plus complete information on physics, simulation, and treatment planning.
- Spotlights and shaded boxes identify the most important concepts.
- End-of-chapter questions provide a useful review.
- Chapter objectives, key terms, outlines, and summaries make it easier to prioritize, understand, and retain key information.
- Key terms are bolded and defined at first mention in the text, and included in the glossary for easy reference.
- UPDATED chemotherapy section, expansion of What Causes Cancer, and inclusions of additional cancer biology terms and principles provide the essential information needed for clinical success.
- UPDATED coverage of post-image manipulation techniques includes new material on Cone beam utilization, MR imaging, image guided therapy, and kV imaging.
- NEW section on radiation safety and misadministration of treatment beams addresses the most up-to-date practice requirements.
- Content updates also include new ASRT Practice Standards and AHA Patient Care Partnership Standards, keeping you current with practice requirements.
- UPDATED full-color insert is expanded to 32 pages, and displays images from newer modalities.
Unit I: Introduction
1. Cancer: An Overview
2. The Ethics and Legal Considerations of Cancer Management
3. Principles of Pathology
4. Overview of Radiobiology
5. Detection and Diagnosis
6. Medical Imaging
7. Treatment Delivery Equipment
8. Treatment Procedures
9. Infection Control in Radiation Oncology Facilities
10. Patient Assessment
11. Pharmacology and Drug Administration
Unit II: Physics, Simulation and Treatment Planning
12. Applied Mathematics Review
13. Introduction to Radiation Therapy Physics
14. Aspects of Brachytherapy
15. Special Procedures
16. Particle Therapy
17. Radiation Safety and Protection
18. Patient Safety in Radiation Oncology
19. Quality Improvement in Radiation Oncology
20. Surface and Sectional Anatomy
21. Simulator Design
22. Computed Tomography Simulation
23. Photon Dosimetry Concepts and Calculations
24. Photon Dose Distributions
25. Electron Beams in Radiation Therapy
26. Electronic Charting and Image Management
Unit III: Practical Applications
27. Bone, Cartilage and Soft Tissue Sarcomas
28. Lymphoreticular System Tumors
29. Endocrine System Tumors
30. Respiratory System Tumors
31. Head and Neck Cancers
32. Central Nervous System Tumors
33. Digestive System Tumors
34. Gynecological Tumors
35. Male Reproductive and Genitourinary Tumors
36. Breast Cancer
37. Pediatric Solid Tumors
38. Skin Cancers and Melanoma