Principles and Practice of Radiation Therapy - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
The only radiation therapy text written by radiation therapists, Principles and Practice of Radiation Therapy, 4th Edition helps you understand cancer management and improve clinical techniques for delivering doses of radiation. A problem-based approach makes it easy to apply principles to treatment planning and delivery. New to this edition are updates on current equipment, procedures, and treatment planning. Written by radiation therapy experts Charles Washington and Dennis Leaver, this comprehensive text will be useful throughout your radiation therapy courses and beyond.
- Complete coverage of radiation therapy provides all introductory content plus the full scope of information on physics, simulation, and treatment planning.
- This popular and well-reviewed text continues to be regarded by many radiation therapy professionals as a strong, comprehensive, and authoritative source.
- Contributions from a broad range of practitioners bring you the expertise of radiation therapists, physicians, nurses, administrators, and educators who are part of cancer management teams.
- Chapters on image guided radiation therapy, intensity modulated radiation therapy, and CT simulation keep you up-to-date with emerging technologies.
- Objectives, bulleted summaries, and spotlights join an already impressive list of pedagogical features including chapter outlines, key terms, review questions with answers, critical thinking questions, and a complete, updated glossary.
- Color inserts show significant procedures and imaging technologies clearly.
Unit I: Introduction
1. Cancer: An Overview
2. The Ethics and Legal Considerations of Cancer Management
3. Principles of Pathology
4. Overview of Radiobiology
5. Detection and Diagnosis
6. Radiographic Imaging
7. Treatment Delivery Equipment
8. Treatment Procedures
10. Infection Control in Radiation Oncology
12. Pharmacology and Drug Administration
Unit II: Physics, Simulation and Treatment
13. Applied Mathematics Review
14. Introduction to Radiation Therapy Physics
15. Aspects of Brachytherapy
16. Image Guided Radiation Therapy NEW!
17. Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy NEW
18. Radiation Safety and Protection
19. Quality Improvement in Radiation Oncology
20. Surface and Sectional Anatomy
21. Simulator Design
22. Conventional Simulation
23. CT Simulation NEW!
24. Photon Dosimetry Concepts and Calculations
25. Dose Distributions
26. Electron Beams in Radiation Therapy
27. Electronic Charting and Image Management
Unit III: Practical Applications
28. Bone, Cartilage and Soft Tissue Sarcomas
29. Lymphoreticular System
31. Endocrine System
32. Respiratory System
33. Head and Neck Cancers
34. Central Nervous System
35. Digestive System
36. Gynecological Tumors
37. Male Reproductive and Genitourinary
38. Breast Cancer
39. Pediatric Solid Tumors
40. Skin and Melanoma
Charles M. Washington, MBA, RT(T), FASRT, Director, Clinical Services and Operations, The University of Texas, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX and Dennis T. Leaver, MS, RT(R)(T), FASRT, Professor and Chair, Radiation Therapy Department, Southern Maine Community College, S. Portland, ME