Head, Neck and Orofacial Infections - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Use best practices in effectively treating infections of the head, neck, and orofacial complex! Head, Neck, and Orofacial Infections: An Interdisciplinary Approach is the only resource on the market with in-depth guidelines to the diagnosis and management of pathology due to severe infections. No longer do you have to search through journal articles and websites, as this comprehensive, full-color reference covers both cutting-edge and time-tested approaches to recognizing and handling infections. From well-known OMS educator James Hupp and oral surgeon Elie Ferneini, and with chapters written by expert contributors, this book is ideal for use in the classroom, as preparation for the NBDE and specialty exams, and as a clinical resource for patient care.
- UNIQUE! Comprehensive coverage of head, neck, and orofacial infections addresses the diagnosis and management of pathology due to infections of the head and neck and orofacial complex.
- Expert contributors are drawn from the disciplines of oral and maxillofacial surgery, head and neck surgery, plastic surgery, and otolaryngology, and they provide state-of-the-art guidance based on extensive experience with current techniques as well as technological advances in managing head, neck, and orofacial infections.
- Over 500 photographs, radiographs, and illustrations demonstrate pathologies, procedures, and outcomes.
- A logical organization addresses these topics: 1) issues that are common to all infections of the head and neck region, 2) infections of specific parts of the region, and 3) infections related to certain procedures, types of patients, unusual organisms, and medical-legal implications.
Key chapters include:
- Odontogenic Infections of the Fascial Spaces chapter focuses on the etiology, clinical manifestations, anatomic considerations, and treatment of odontogenic infections.
- Nasal and Para-Nasal Sinus Infections chapter discusses the pathophysiology and management of nasal and paranasal sinus infections.
- Microbiologic Considerations with Dental Implants chapter reviews the issues associated with the prevention of infection with surgical implant placement, including the factors that are known to cause infection, the putative bacteria involved and means to control infection once it occurs.
Part I: General Topics Related to Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections
1. Immunobiology of Infectious Disease
2. Bacterial Microbiology of the Head/Neck/Orofacial Region
3. Non-Bacterial Microbiology of the Head/Neck/Orofacial Region
4. Anatomy Relevant to Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections
5. Laboratory Microbiologic Diagnostics
6. Imaging for Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections
7. Principles of Antimicrobial and Surgical Infection Management
8. Antibacterial Pharmacology for Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections
9. Antimicrobial Pharmacology for Head/Neck/Orofacial Non-Bacterial Infections
Part II: Infections of the Head/Neck/Orofacial Region
10. Infections of the Dental Pulp
11. Infections of the Periodontal Apparatus
12. Odontogenic Infections of the Fascial Spaces
13. Osteomyelitis of the Jaws
14. Salivary Gland Infections
15. Nasal and Para-Nasal Sinus Infections
16. Oropharyngeal and Tonsillar Infections
17. Laryngitis, Epiglottitis, Tracheitis
18. Thyroid Infections
19. Infections of the Ear and Mastoid
20. Orbital Infections
21. Brain and Meningeal Infections
22. Infections of the Facial Skin and Scalp
23. Head and Neck Vascular Infections
Part III: Special Topics Related to Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections
24. Infection in the Head/Neck/Orofacial Trauma Patient
25. Dental Implant Related Infections
26. Facial Esthetic Surgery Related Infections
27. Infections Following Head and Neck Reconstruction
28. Infections in Critically Ill (ICU) Patients
29. Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections in Pediatric Patients
30. Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections in Immunocompromised Patients
31. Tuberculosis/Mycobacterial Infections of the Head and Neck
32. Unusual Inflammatory Conditions of the Head/Neck/Orofacial Region
33. Anesthetic Considerations in Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections
34. Perioperative Infection Control
35. Medico-Legal Considerations in Head/Neck/Orofacial Infections
James R. Hupp, DMD, MD, JD, MBA, Founding Dean and Professor of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dental Medicine, Professor of Surgery, School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina. and Elie M. Ferneini, DMD, MD, MHS, MBA, FACS, Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Connecticut
Greater Waterbury Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons